Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Question Slowing Down The Tempo of A Song Using Elastic Audio

Hi guys,

Quick general question here. I don't actually have Pro Tools or record. I'm a musician and recently my band tracked drums on a Pro Tools HD rig. Anyway, we got a little carried away and weren't happy with the tempo we recorded our drum tracks in.

I want an engineer to change the tempo of the drum tracks by -3% to -5% at the most with Elastic Audio, nothing severe, just minor slow down because it affects the mood of the song a lot.

I've done this myself using Audacity just to get a general idea of what the tempo was going to sound like and I ran into some minor artifacts and drums skipping. Is Elastic Audio better equipped to slow tempo down and is the engineer gonna run into a bunch of artifacts/problems slowing this down?

Basically my question is if it's realistically possible for an engineer to slow down drum tracks by 3-5% at the most? And if there is artifacts, isn't there ways to edit and correct these minor errors? The engineer also has recorded drum samples of every piece off the kit (snare, toms, etc). I really don't want the money we spent on tracking to go to waste and be able to salvage the drum tracks.

Any help, opinions, and input are appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Slowing Down The Tempo of A Song Using Elastic Audio

Also, just as a note, since my original post, I've been able to slow down the WAV files of the drum tracks down to the speed I wanted with Amazing Slow Downer with no weird skips or artifacts so I think Elastic Audio shouldn't have a problem with them since it's probably more advanced with dealing with these type of things.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 AM

A 3-5% slow down using Elastic Audio will not produce any artifacts on PT HD
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM

awesome
Old 04-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Just make sure your audio tracks are TICK based.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM

As a long time user of Amazing Slow Downer I can tell you that it can slow dowm to amazingly slow speeds with such accuracy and with great clarity.

I think it does a better job than pro Tools. It does for me.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 PM

This is actually very easy to do. I do this all the time. I start by trimming or stretching all the regions to the nearest whole bar. The way I stretch is simply highlight from the nearest blank whole before the region to the nearest whole bar after the region. Then go to audiosuite, gain, and process the region without making any adjustments to the actual gain. This is simply to add blank space to a region. I do this for all tracks. Then I change the session tempo and stretch the audio regions back to the nearest bar. The direction depends on if I'm slowing down or speeding up the tempo. This way keeps everything in line!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 PM

If you use Waves soundshifter, Serato Pitch n time, Sound Toys Speed or even Digi Xform as the TC/E in Pro Tools instead of the default one then the improvements of time stretching are amazing....