Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2020, 09:03 AM

Default How do I create the same voice level and quality for tracks already recorded?

Being a newbie to recording and narrating I recorded my chapters in separate sessions. And because I did that, I found my voice sounds and quality were not the same. (I was learning as I went along.) Now I need to correct them or do them all over again. Is there anything I can do to keep from having to record them all over again?
Old 12-31-2020, 10:22 AM

Default Re: How do I create the same voice level and quality for tracks already recorded?

Hi, It's impossible to say without hearing the recordings. There are plenty of ways to try to make the sessions more consistent - adjusting volume, EQ, compression and many other forms of processing might work.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-31-2020, 11:24 AM

Default Re: How do I create the same voice level and quality for tracks already recorded?

That's a hard lesson, but a well-learned lesson(so yes, you may need to record some things over again). But there are some tricks that are worth a try:

1-look for a plugin that is capable of EQ-matching(I think FabFilter and several iZotope plugins are capable). Some of these plugins might have free demos so you could process your stuff and commit in demo period.

2-Pick some of the better-sounding stuff and put it side by side with some bad-sounding stuff and listen for what's different, and try to adjust to compensate.

3-learn from the mistake(mistakes are a great learning method, despite the pain)

4-2 things will help you going forward. #1-make the best out of the space you have(acoustic treatments, Reflexion Filters, better microphone, etc), and #2-be absolutely consistent by always using the same mic, in the same position(in relation to both you, and the room), with the same input path settings The fact that things are changing for you is a good sign that you are learning and improving(can't ask for much more than that).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-31-2020, 11:48 AM

What changed between sessions?

Personally, I would copy any edits down the timeline in each session, consolidate the copy, and name it for the chapter. I would then import that as recorded audio into a new session so that I had all the chapters in one session on one track.

Now balance the gain for each chapter so that it's that same for each clip, or as close as possible, paying attention to how it sounds. A lower or higher gain may be necessary if you worked closer to the mic or farther away on different chapters.

Unless you changed microphones or the same mic's position - or your position to it - or added or subtracted acoustic treatment or recorded in different places, the audio should now sound similar.

You can now use real time plug-ins or AudioSuite plug-ins to change the audio to be as close to the same as possible and only rerecord anything that isn't the same.

I believe I answered another one of your threads and told you you can have all the chapters in one session.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction