Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 PM

Default Sampletank 2XL or Sampletank 3 Free?

So I just picked up the IK Multimedia Studio Bundle 3 on sale for 100 bucks. I've never used any IK VI's before, so any help you could give me here would be great. In my downloads I have available Sampletank 2 XL, and Sampletank 3 Free. Also included in the bundle are 15 Xpansion Tank 2 packs. Which version of Sampletank should I use, does 3 Free have any advantage over 2 XL? Will the Xpansion Tank 2 packs open up in 3 Free?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Sampletank 2XL or Sampletank 3 Free?

Upon further research I see that I have a bunch of stuff to figure out with getting this all installed and running with PT11.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM

Yes you do. Sampletank 2 is not AAX.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zull View Post
So I just picked up the IK Multimedia Studio Bundle 3 on sale for 100 bucks. I've never used any IK VI's before, so any help you could give me here would be great. In my downloads I have available Sampletank 2 XL, and Sampletank 3 Free. Also included in the bundle are 15 Xpansion Tank 2 packs. Which version of Sampletank should I use, does 3 Free have any advantage over 2 XL? Will the Xpansion Tank 2 packs open up in 3 Free?

Thanks in advance
IKīs VIs are pretty musically sounding stuff. Have used it for a long time myself.
As you have got the full version of Sampletank 2XL+15 Expansions you probably will
have enough sounds for all purposes in the future .

Anyway thereīs a problem too.
You canīt use the Sampletank 2 engine/player with PT 11 as it is 32bit only.
What you can use however will be all sound libraries which come with Sampletank XL 2
as well as all the Expansion Tanks... but... unfortunately not with the free version of Sampletank 3.
The free Sampletank 3 can only be used with the small selection of the Sampletank 3 Free sounds.

Means, if you would want to use all your sound libraries you have got with your package, you at least
will have to buy Sampletank 3 SE (which is a limited version) or the full version of Sampletank 3.
From my personal experience with all the Sampletank stuff I would rather recommend to go for the full
version of ST3 as with this one you will be on the safe side as to all your Sampletank 2 sounds.
With the full Sampletank 3 you definitely will be able to use all your libraries.

There is an upgrade from Sampletank 2 to Sampletank 3.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ST3up-e
(for US costumers itīs better to buy it from Sweetwater than from the IK Webstore because of high EU
taxes-IK Webstore is Italy based actually)

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3/

By buying the full version of Sampletank 3 you additionally will get tons of new sampled, freshly produced
sounds too.
So finally you would have enough sounds "for life" (together with all the ST2+Expansion Tank sounds).
The libraries include everything from beautifully sampled Pianos, Basses, even Vocals, Strings to tons of Loops etc.

Because you already have got the whole Sampletank 2 stuff+all the Expansions it will really make sense to
upgrade to the full ST3. This will allow you to use it all finally.
http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/...hp?f=12&t=9441

Wishing you the very of success and much fun with Sampletank,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 AM

Thanks for the reply VRW, much appreciated. I opted to go for Sampletank 3 SE to test all of this out with and see what I think. Total investment for the whole lot was 200 bucks, so I feel I got my money's worth. I had wanted to get T-Racks, the stock Amplitube 3 collection, and Classik Studio Reverbs anyway, but wasn't gonna pay full price for any of those so it was a nice bargain! I got Miroslav Philharmonik loaded into Sampletank 3 SE last night and started playing around a bit, not bad!

And, I was wondering why I wasn't paying tax on my purchase, as I'd heard in other threads about it being quite a bit. It seems that IK Multimedia has an office or perhaps just a payment center setup in Sunrise, FL (USA), so there was no tax on my purchase.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply VRW, much appreciated. I opted to go for Sampletank 3 SE to test all of this out with and see what I think. Total investment for the whole lot was 200 bucks, so I feel I got my money's worth. I had wanted to get T-Racks, the stock Amplitube 3 collection, and Classik Studio Reverbs anyway, but wasn't gonna pay full price for any of those so it was a nice bargain! I got Miroslav Philharmonik loaded into Sampletank 3 SE last night and started playing around a bit, not bad!

And, I was wondering why I wasn't paying tax on my purchase, as I'd heard in other threads about it being quite a bit. It seems that IK Multimedia has an office or perhaps just a payment center setup in Sunrise, FL (USA), so there was no tax on my purchase.
The IK stuff is definitely nice; long time user. With Sampletank 3 you'll have to do an import to get it to see/use the libraries you just purchased. I don't know if the SE version will do that so you may end up going to the full ST3 which is worth it.

Be aware that there are various levels of Amplitube 3 available that are all considered stock. If you get any add-ons for AT3 the Fender collection is one of the better ones they do; Ampeg ain't too bad either.

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 AM

Sampletank 3 SE can in fact import legacy instruments, I made sure of that before I bought it so that I could load all of this stuff in. I tested it out with Miroslav last night and it worked great.

The collection I bought came with Ampeg SVX, but I had already owned it anyway It's the only bass amp modeler I've used that I've really liked for rock/metal bass. I may end up picking up the Fender pack, or at least just the Twin Reverb head, although the stock pack I bought came with a few "based on Fender XXX" amps. I tried a few of them out last night as well and they will get the job done. Between that and Scuffham S-Gear, I think I have the modeling I'll need covered for now. S-Gear is amazing actually, wish I'd found it sooner.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 AM

+1 for the Fender collection.
If you would use distorted guitars you also may want to check out the Slash series.
Itīs only 2 amps (plus some stomp box effects) but itīs pretty decent quality wise.
Not too harsh yet very powerful. Very good blues, rock to metal sound options.

Cheers.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Thatīs cool! Maybe they have changed something like you say, FL or whatever.
I often had to buy my stuff via any reseller to avoid the high taxes in the IK store
but itīs been a while actually, so maybe they got it sorted out in a way.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Thatīs cool! Maybe they have changed something like you say, FL or whatever.
I often had to buy my stuff via any reseller to avoid the high taxes in the IK store
but itīs been a while actually, so maybe they got it sorted out in a way.
The tax issue varies from state to state and I don't think all states have sales tax while some tax out the wazoo. And some states expect you to pay a use tax if you buy goods from out of state.

QAPLA!