Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Petition for Mix Systems

I know this is discussed very often, but we're a Post House in Germany and still using a lot of Mix Systems (more than 10) with HUI's and Command 8's.
Beside that we're also using 4 HD Accel Systems with Pro Controls and C24 and 8 LE Systems.
For us the Mix Systems are still very good for doing Editing in Post and we know, that there will be no new Features implemented, because the Product is End of Life.
But what we don't like is that Digidesign left the Last Version of PT Mix 6.4.1 with bugs and that there a no fixes planned.
I don't cry for new Features, really, but the Software should do what it supposed to do!
Just an Example of a Big nerving Bug.
When any of the Scroll Options is activated and you zoomed tight into a Session and then you go to the Region List with alt+Click to Preview a Sound the Session jumps to Start and you lost your last Position.
This Error is fixed in PT 7, but why can't it be fixed in PT 6.4.1?
It's a very reproduceable Error. And I mean it's easy for Digi to say: Upgrade to PT 7!
In my Studio this means an investment for around € 80.000.- - 100.00.- (HD1 with a 96 I/O and Software Updates around 10.000.- each), for just a Software fix.
Again: I don't want any new Features (Mix is perfect for Post), but Digi should come up with Bugfix Versions of PT 6.4.1.
So in my believe there are still a lot of Mix users out there and these should Name known Bugs and we should start a Petition to get a Software fix support from Digi.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Petition for Mix Systems

Totally agree!
It's ok that Digidesign sets "Product is End of Life" on an old product espesially on hardware, but why on software?

Sometimes I have a wet dream at night:
Digidesign releases Pro Tools 7.0MIX for Mix users. Please upgrade for only 99$ ;-)
I think many Mix users will accept a paid upgrade.

The only thing I want the v.7.0MIX to do, is bug fixes, some small improvements and the possibility to open v.7 sessions.
And last but not least, the possibility to run Mix systems on OSX Tiger.
Maybe there's many things in the new session format that not can be used on Mix hardware, but it's not difficult to include a converter that makes the session compatible for old hardware. (The same thing that "Save a copy... for v6. does)

The new features that requires HD hardware can just be "not available" for users with Mix hardware.

I love my old Mix system, and don't have the money to make an upgrade.
And I also love companies who take good care of old customers.

I think the Mix systems are to good to be forgotten...

regards
b.j.
Live: Avid VENUE | S3L-X System/Venue 4.6.1/Stage 16x3.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:15 AM

Supporting Mix hardware on latest OS is probably the biggest reason there will not be a PT7 for Mix. Bug fixes should however be a no-brainer; how difficult it would be to release a 6.4.2 now that they know how the bug will be fixed? Freezing the system to a non-stable release is just not right.

I'd hate to see this happen when my PCIe HD1 will some day be EOL'd.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 AM

Agreed.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:18 AM

I totally Disagree!

ANY time spent fixing a product from that many years ago, is time not devoted to people like me who upgraded to PT 7.2.

I'm sorry you didn't upgrade, but PT 6.4.1 is clearly in the past. And IF devoting any time to an old system means they are even one day later getting newer features such as notation...
then sorry guys, move on and UPGRADE like the rest of us.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 12-02-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Supporting Mix hardware on latest OS is probably the biggest reason there will not be a PT7 for Mix. Bug fixes should however be a no-brainer; how difficult it would be to release a 6.4.2 now that they know how the bug will be fixed? Freezing the system to a non-stable release is just not right.
Making changes to existing code is never as simple as we would like to believe, as every bug fix has the potential to cause others. In order to create a more "stable" release, Digi would have to devote resources and testing cycles that could otherwise be used to improve/create future products. Unless there was a substantial economic benefit to be derived from this, I don't see it happening, as much as I would personally benefit.

While they're fixing bugs, why not add RTAS on aux capability too...
Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 AM

Rush, rush, rush! Panic, panic, panic! Everyone must hurry to throw their "old" computer equipment into their nearest landfill and go into debt to acquire something new! And then when you've acquired something new, that's not good enough either...

First, JS Bach discovered the harpsicord...what a wonderful instrument.

Until the piano forte came out, and then all the harpsicord tuners said, now we're only going to tune piano fortes, we won't tune or maintain your harpsicord anymore. Sorry.

And then the piano came out with it's three strings per key, and the piano tuners said...NOPE, we won't tune your piano forte anymore, we only tune pianos now.

And then the fender rhodes came out, and all the tuners said...what do you need a piano for? Forget it, we won't tune THAT anymore...

then the Yamaha DX7, the instrument of the future, came out, and they said...

Strewn in the path of this destructive waste lay the abandoned customers, the skills acquired then lost, the hard earned money we spent on the gear, and the environment itself.

And all this comes out of the Bay Area, the land of Ansel Adams and Alan Watts and the Unibomber...an area that prides itself on environmental awareness...

Yes, I wholeheartedly support software bug fixes for mixplus systems. Please, Digi, respect our gigantic investment of time, energy, knowledge, skills, money!!!

However, we must recognize that software maintenance is very expensive. I for one would gladly pay for software fixes to these problems. (200-300?) $75 per quarter? That's about what a piano tuner costs.

I don't want a version 7. I want a 6.4.2. Because if we have to go to 7 on mixplus, we will likely lose as many features as we gain. I know I lost something for sure in going from 5.1.3 to 6.4.1.

-c-post
Old 12-02-2006, 11:32 AM

I would think less of digidesign if they spent 1 second fixing the mix systems.
You guys with mix systems have working hardware that is almost 10 years old!
What do you guys want!!
Give me a break.
Try to use anything in your studio that is 10 years old and computer based!!
The fact that they even have the downloads maintained on their website is a credit to them.
Mix 6.4.2??
How about fixing the bugs in the current system. How about HD's replacement. How about an accel card with some REAL power.
Now that the mac pro has 15 times the processing power of an accel3, lets get to work on that.
Not a wishlist from Never Never land and the mix system owners!
What next, take M-powered support and divert it to making a PCI-e version of the DIGI 001!!
How about PCI-e to nubus, where does it end?
aaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!
tp
Old 12-02-2006, 01:08 PM

The problem is that We have paid for this and it doesn't work well!!!!

I could care less about you and your HD system

Just because all you guy's got suckered into Upgrade Hell HD/Project HD/Accel now PCIe and all the plugins doesn't mean that the abandonment of a Useless version of Protools to be justified!!!!!!!

Quote:
ANY time spent fixing a product from that many years ago, is time not devoted to people like me who upgraded to PT 7.2.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The problem is that We have paid for this and it doesn't work well!!!!
LOL! You gotta be kidding me, I just can't take you seriously with a name of NuBus! LOL

Of course, I would guess that a person who uses the handle of Nubus, would want to hold on to the past.
What was the last NuBus computer 1994 with the 8100?

Hey, Onward and Upward!
ADC, option dragging EQ and Aux Sends, higher track count, waveforms in Quick Punch mode!
Oh no!!!!!! What was I thinking moving up in software.

Get Real NuBus, the PT train las left the station. You have already been left behind.
Heres the best thing you can do now, you can either stand there as the train is pulling further and further away from you
or you can go back to the counter (Digidesign) and tell the man you need a new ticket (PT 7.2) and get on a new train.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Closed Thread