Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Default Re: HD Native= more power on the same system ?

In any case, it takes off some of the the pressure to develop and market competitive hardware.

Darryl Ramm
Old 09-14-2014, 12:05 PM

It just sucks that you can only record two analog sources at a time. sure you can add an ADAT preamp, but then you're relying on the outboard gear to do the AD conversion.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
This just goes to show that it's a stupid idea for Avid to bundle these things instead of selling them separately. Because people are forced to buy an interface they don't need, the market is flooded with these HD interfaces, and people get them at firesale prices. So all that money is going to 3rd party resellers, and NOT going to Avid. Whereas if they weren't bundled, those who need interfaces would buy them new from Avid dealers, and Avid would actually make more money. They sure have a bizarre way of running a business.
I agree with you. They might have thought this was a good strategy 4 years ago, but I remember when you used to be able to buy the HD Native PCIe card standalone without any interface. I think the cards were going for around 2K at that time on eBay. The surplus of these HD interfaces has driven the value down for the whole Avid converter line. I paid close to 5K for my HD IO Analog 16X16 three years ago, and now they can be had for $2500 brand new. That's a steal IMO, as they really do sound fantastic. At today's prices, if you bought each component of an HD Native system separately, you could get PT 11 HD, the HD Native Thunderbolt controller and an HD IO 16X16 for less than $5500 USD brand new.