Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 03:47 AM

Default 7.3 Session Corrupt, Fade Issues, Random Edits

Its late, and in this case the issue is presently resolved (read below), but perhaps this will be helpful to someone else (or I might get this problem again, before I kick my speakers in).
Situation:
Fairly big session, not crazy, a couple reels of sound effects and backgrounds for a feature. Was re-conformed a couple times with conformalizer (a god send of an app) so lots of edits. Worked on session for a day, everything fine, saved fine, no crashes, etc. Opened session two days later with error:
"The following fades were invalid." (list)

Saved error notes from session reveals many entries like this:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invalid fades (these fades cannot be regenerated if they go offline)
Crossfade "Fade !Wkz6isO8gmaaaGk" at 194:01.896 on playlist "BG 3.03" is invalid because its right contributor is a fade.
Crossfade "Fade E7X8Be!tGfmaaaGk" at 194:43.571 on playlist "BG 3.03" is invalid because its left contributor is a fade.
etc... (unfortunately this error list doesnt include all fade and edit errors, only some of them)

Now the session looks all screwed up, stereo tracks with missing left or right edits, random regions spread around, and fades that have no apparent regions associated with them.

Weird, so I tried all the backup sessions, no avail, same issues. Try a new session and import the tracks, get this error:
COULD NOT COMPLETE REQUEST
out_of_range: Cmn_PolyVectorImpl:At.

Yikes! Go back to the messed up session, maybe I can fix it. I duplicate the bunk tracks and reconform the new ones fresh, with clean space (ie, no old regions stacking up / overlapping). Spend 4 hours comparing bunk tracks to new ones, remake edits, copy some old regions that look ok, Great, session plays fine, looks and sounds correct. Close session.

Open session. Same crap all over. Some more testing. Spent 4 more hours testing and conforming again, this time makeing sure to wipe out any possible hidden leftover bad edits, close, reopen. Works! But damn, that cost me a day. Anybody have any ideas?

Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
Bendy
http://bendymusic.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bendymusic
Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: 7.3 Session Corrupt, Fade Issues, Random Edits

tomcat and I have posted about this exact same issue in 7.3 recently bizzle. Hopefully they'll put out a fix soon to address this stuff...
Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 AM

Hi - Same problem here on several occasions. I tried throwing away the fade file folder and forcing PT to create a new one...it recreated all the good fades and left the invalid ones. If I try to erase the invalid fades, PT crashes. I too had to rebuilt my work over at a time loss of hours. I've gone back to 7.2 until this is fixed
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM

this is a real big issue !!
If you can't be confident in the software when you close the session, it's quite impossible to think to work with..
Hope digi will fix that very soon
Old 12-31-2006, 03:46 PM

Hmm..

Since you guys have had this issue too, I wonder what the common link is. I am wondering if it has to do with overlapping regions or something. Also I might suspect the "Preserve Fades when Editing" option, I dont know, something about that seems funny. I like the option, but maybe something is going on there. Any other ideas you guys have about this?

Digi, are you interested in looking at some of these corrupt sessions?

Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
Bendy
http://bendymusic.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bendymusic
Old 01-01-2007, 02:02 AM

I had the same phenomenom with 7.3LE. I think it has something to do with the Region Grabber Tool. In my Session I had to do some background atmospheres for a Series. With multiple Videos I copied a ready made Episode with Video and Session Data behind my new one and when same Locations appear I copied using the Grabber Tool from the old one to the new. Also with the Grabber I copied the old Fades and for arranging it perfectly for the new I have to do a lot of nudging shifts etc.! In my opinion this is doing the Session damage. Can someone recap this with his work? Is someone using often the Region Grabber Tool and doing some things like me?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:48 AM

For me this issue seems to only occur right after I delete many tracks and many unused regions from a large session. Then i do a save copy in, and the resulting session is has the invalid fades in it...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 AM

just stop using 7.3 until they fix this. What i find really irresponisble is the fact that after the 4 down days I had last week, while in touch with digi and trying to sus out this issue, then having them finally recreate it there, they have not officially recalled 7.3, and they continue to let folks work away with a potentially catastrophic time bomb on their hands.

the back-ups are corrupt because the corruption is in the session but is not apparent until reopening. I did back-ups for three days without closing the session and guess what? when I crashed and found the corruption, every single back-up for three days had the same issue. It was the worst PT week in my 13 years with the program.

as far a I know, there is no fix for the corruption, only to rebuilld, go back to 7.2 cs2 and quietly wish we weren't paying good money to be beta-testers.

Everybody should stop using 7.3 unless they don't care about their time or their work. I know that sounds extreme, but i got burned badly and it really pissed me off.

sorry you got burned too.

www.tompaul.com
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Wow,very scary
Old 01-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Is this only in sessions with video present?

Or are some of you just doing all audio?

brian
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.