Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: pace plans for sturdier constructed ilok key

I agree it could be improved, I never said it didn't.. and I said I can almost guarantee that Pace are working on improving their product(s).

As for some of the bull posted in this forum.. the cost of an iLok is $40US and $30US/yr for ZDT. There's no shipping cost involved - you go to your nearest dealer and buy one. If you decide to order and require shipping, that's nothing to do with Pace. If you have a broken iLok you send it back to Pace and it'll be replaced, in the meantime you use your backup iLok ($40US) to continue working. Most of us haven't had to buy more than a single iLok as it's included with their HD package.

Total money out of pocket - $40US + $30US/yr (or only $30/year optional).

You should insure your software anyway... so that doesn't count.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-27-2005, 05:35 PM

Rail,

Ok 70 bucks no biggie....but that's 70 bucks more than I should spend protecting someone elses property...don't you get that yet???

I'm not concerned about the price of the plugins or digi hardware,I more than happy to pay for my TOOLS...the ilok doesn't help me do my work.I could do it before ilok and I'm sure I will be able to do it after.

Chris
Old 08-27-2005, 05:41 PM

It's actually $70/(Number of plug-ins).. say you have 70 plug-ins.. that's $1 per plug-in.

Do you have any idea how much you spend on every other product you buy because of theft?

Since I can easily move my plug-ins to any system... it improves my work dramatically.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-27-2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:
It's actually $70/(Number of plug-ins).. say you have 70 plug-ins.. that's $1 per plug-in.

Do you have any idea how much you spend on every other product you buy because of theft?

Since I can easily move my plug-ins to any system... it improves my work dramatically.

Rail
Yup I know I'm paying for theft in other products.I'm also sure I'm already paying for theft in the price of these pace protected plugins I'm buying as well...kind of getting hit twice I guess.

I don't think I should have these extra expenses just for the privalege of using a company's product.Especially when these plugins used to work with out it.

I'd love it if life were such that everytime I had an extra expense I could hit someone elses wallet but I can't.I don't think these companies should be able to either.They found a system they think protects their assets...great!!But don't make me pay for it...I'm not the reason you need it.

I hope that's more clear.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 08-27-2005, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE]
I agree it could be improved, I never said it didn't.. and I said I can almost guarantee that Pace are working on improving their product(s).

As for some of the bull posted in this forum.. the cost of an iLok is $40US and $30US/yr for ZDT.

Quote:
There's no shipping cost involved - you go to your nearest dealer and buy one. If you decide to order and require shipping, that's nothing to do with Pace.
this is true, pace did not get my courier fees that I had to pay in order to get my old key sync'd and my new key sent down. I did however have to bear these expenses because funnily enough my corner store doesn't stock these devices, indeed no store in my city stocks then amd the one agent in the country was out of stock, so yeah cool for you guys in america or certain cities there but this was one of the costs of the ilok system to me when it broke down.

Quote:
Most of us haven't had to buy more than a single iLok as it's included with their HD package.

well if you're using unquantified words like 'most' then as far as this thread is concerned most of us have had to buy a new ilok.

Quote:

You should insure your software anyway... so that doesn't count.
Rail
it counts to me. the ilok is a very stealable piece of plastic. more so than some serial codes, or most previous styles of copy protection.
infact the ilok isn't just the protection, it is the be all and end of making the software go, it might as well be the software, all packaged up nicely in a very small and pocketable package.

as said before, this does not have to be this way. the ilok could easily offer the client much protection instead of just the software author.
It could easily be so,
so have you heard any movement in this direction, simple question, yes or no.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:09 PM

The main problem is that Digi is using a 3rd party for this so called protection. Now if you have a problem, you don't know who to blame.

Digi can say, "Buy my hardware and my plugins, but if you want to use them, deal with iLok."
Then, iLok uses the 'copy protection line' to brainwash Protools users into thinking they need it. Digi needs iLok for two main reasons, to deflect attention and to bring in an extra revenue stream.

It's like the Democrats and the Republicans blaming each other for the troubles of the world while the cost of living continues to rise for us all. When times get tough, they point the finger at each other and both avert blame.

Oh, wait! That’s the system! What was I thinking?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:14 AM

Quote:
don't think I should have these extra expenses just for the privalege of using a company's product.s
That's the entire concept of insurance.

I was reading this article about car thefts - it was interesting to compare the #1 stolen vehicle:

Vehicle: Cadillac Escalade EXT (2002-03)
Size/Type: Large Luxury Pickup
Claim Frequency: 20.2
Avg. Loss Payment Per Claim: $14,939
Avg. Payment Per Insured Vehicle Per Year: $302

For comparison purposes, the Buick LeSabre ran up a payment for all theft losses of just $1 per insured vehicle, while the average for all cars was $15.

Do you think the extra premium an Escalade owner pays offsets all Escalade losses? Not a chance. I'm no actuary, but I can assure you that other vehicle owners are underwriting the Escalade losses.

Maybe we should ban the sale of items that are easily stolen?

The reality is that audio software will be pirated, and the companies are doing their best to provide a solution that is reasonable for the customer and protects the company. For those of you who've been using software from the beginning of time, you have a better perspective of what protection schemes suck less. "iLok sucks less"
Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Sure it is,absolutely.

AN ILOK DOESN'T INSURE ME!!

I pay for it to protect someone else. If i want to be covered I go pay some more for insurance.

I'd love it if the software companies would pay my insurance...maybe car,maybe house.No of course they won't it's not their responsibitity to insure my property.(I think you see where I'm going with this...lol)

Chris
Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
For those of you who've been using software from the beginning of time, you have a better perspective of what protection schemes suck less. "iLok sucks less"
and yet it could suck even less, lots of great suggestions on how this could be acheived, but there is no word on efforts to do that.
have you heard any word on paces plan to make the ilok key more sturdy or to upgrade the ilok.com site in order to offer the customer more secuity?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sure it is,absolutely.

AN ILOK DOESN'T INSURE ME!!

I pay for it to protect someone else. If i want to be covered I go pay some more for insurance.
Chris
disturbingly to the point.
but a side issue.
really I want to know what digi and paces plans are to make the recording software ownership deal a bit less problematic.
just a quicknote saying yeah, we hear you and we're plannig these upgrades and features to meet customer demand. thats all I'm asking for.