Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: pace plans for sturdier constructed ilok key

Quote:
Digidesign, and I'm sure Pace, have a policy of not discussing future products. I doubt any business does that.. try asking to see a 2007 model Mercedes Benz.

Rail
For pix of 2007 cars, read Car And Driver. They show spy shots almost every issue, as well as posting insider reports.

From the Car And Driver website: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=9503

Spied!
2007 Mercedes-Benz G-class
PHOTOGRAPHY BY BRENDA PRIDDY & COMPANY
April 2005
We’ve caught the best picture yet of the all-new Mercedes-Benz G-class! Codenamed X164, the G-class will share a new unibody structure with the just-introduced M-class and upcoming R-class, and will be built in Alabama.

Power for the new G-class is expected to come from a variety of powerplants, including a 4.6-liter V-8 with around 325 horsepower, and an optional 5.5-liter V-8 with over 400 hp. A diesel option for the U.S. is likely, as is an AMG version that should pack close to 500 horsepower when it arrives.

(Just trying to help!)

Best....H
Old 08-26-2005, 04:06 PM

I said to try and get an answer from the car companies.. not from some spies. Companies do not discuss future products under development - it's bad business.

If the marketing dept. decide to make a press release to the media - you'll hear about it. I'd suggest you check the news link on the Digidesign main web site for any press releases.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Digidesign, and I'm sure Pace, have a policy of not discussing future products. I doubt any business does that.. try asking to see a 2007 model Mercedes Benz.

Rail
oh really? I get information all the time about up coming products on the horizon, companies trying to entice their customers into purchasing new products and hanging in there with the old products until the just around the corner mods come about.
the 2007 mercedes possibly not, but how bout the 2006 one.
I take it you've not heard anything bout any modifications or advancements in the ilok system what so ever then?
surely they couldn't just be sitting on their hands waiting to be wiped out by the next big kid on the block??
Old 08-26-2005, 09:55 PM

Uh, my girlfriend just bought a 2006 Mercedes.. so obviously the company's released 2006 info <sheesh>

I can tell you without any qualms.. Digidesign and Pace are both working on improving their products. I have no idea when they'll release any future products... and even if I did (which I don't) I wouldn't be legally allowed to tell you.

Rail
Old 08-27-2005, 08:33 AM

Ok, let's add up what we've paid to Pace to protect someone else's property - the copyrights of software creators.

Anything over free is too much to protect someone else's property.

I presume you don't want to count the costs of time spent dealing with reinitializing hard drives after an iLok driver install messes the drive up (happened to me last week installing MP4 on a client's computer - the MCDSP installer installed an outdated driver which I believe made the drive unable to boot) or any other time-related issues.

Let me be clear - copyright should be protected, but that protection should be paid for by the owners of the copyright. Yes, we end users will pay the ultimate cost, but if Pace were dealing with tens (or even hundreds) of copyright owners rather than thousands (if not tens of thousands) of end users, my guess is that costs would be less.

Also, Rail, it was not clear that you meant info about future products from the company. Here's your quote: "Digidesign, and I'm sure Pace, have a policy of not discussing future products. I doubt any business does that.. try asking to see a 2007 model Mercedes Benz." That's why I responded with the "Spied" reference in Car And Driver. Hopefully you are not so naive as to believe that these "secret" blurbs about upcoming Mercedes products don't occasionally come from Mercedes. They know where to drive the car so that a picture can be taken.

Another reason I replied with the "Spied" blurb is to point out that all analogies are flawed. We can continue to point out how the iLok is like a car, or the car keys, or whatever else, but there is only so far that any of the analogies will take us.

You also said, "Companies do not discuss future products under development - it's bad business."

Generally, I agree with you. But I have often read reports of future products or services well in advance of any release. The one that came to mind was a story about IBM in which the company representative said that in the future computing power would be like a utility, with huge centralized super computers, an outlet in every home and a monthly bill based on your processing use.

How long have we been hearing about the new Steven Paul mic that afaik has yet to be released?

In any case, how would it damage iLok to discuss improvements to their system? It might save them some r&d, not to mention saving Digi some customers.

Where do customers come from? They come from your competitors. Without giving too much detail, I was asked to upgrade 18 ProTools rigs at a major entertainment facility in order to network all of the audio. They had OS9 rigs, OSX rigs, HD's, MBoxes, 002's, etc. I noticed that the network had an OS9 server - no need for the upgrade at that time. That was a year ago. It was agreed that upgrades would be done later.

Last week I called them to say maybe now would be a good time to get started on the upgrade. I got told they had already started and were going PC. "Wow, Pro Tools on PC's - well, that should work fine."

Their response? "Actually, we're using Nuendo."

Best....H

PS - Rail, thanks for your ongoing expertise on the DUC. I truly appreciate your posts on the minutia of Pro Tools operation and maintainence. I just disagree with you on the iLok.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
How long have we been hearing about the new Steven Paul mic that afaik has yet to be released?
An exact example of why a company shouldn't announce a product before it's released (or even developed). Stephen Paul got ill and passed away before the product could even be completed.

Rail
Old 08-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
An exact example of why a company shouldn't announce a product before it's released (or even developed). Stephen Paul got ill and passed away before the product could even be completed.

Rail
Thats sad news rail but the thing here is people are requesting a company to upgrade their product because they feel vunerable and exposed with the current systems available.
ie a dead ilok = downtime.
a lost ilok = much headache
ownership of an ilok = big insurance costs.
digidesign subscribing to the ilok system = exposure of its clients to exploitation by a third party.

none of these things have to be an problem if concerns are addressed. suggestions have been made, really great suggestions on how the ilok system can make peoples software unstealable, and there fore unnecessary to insure, less prone to damage and downtime, easier to use.

This stuff has been discussed ad nausium, but what we don't have is any indication that either pace or digidesign care or are doing anything about it.

hence this topic and my question.
has anyoneone heard of pace's plans to construct a strdier key and upgrade their systems to add more protection for the end user?
Old 08-27-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I said to try and get an answer from the car companies.. not from some spies. Companies do not discuss future products under development - it's bad business.

If the marketing dept. decide to make a press release to the media - you'll hear about it. I'd suggest you check the news link on the Digidesign main web site for any press releases.

Rail
or I could ask here for info from knowledgable spies since official sources seem to be somewhat conspicuiosly mute on the subject.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:29 PM

Delphypop wrote:
"has anyone heard of pace's plans to construct a sturdier key and upgrade their systems to add more protection for the end user"?

I've never had an ilok fail or break (and hope I don't) but I would like to see a more durable key.

As I mentioned in another post, I would like to see a more unbreakable key...or a key with a tail on it (ahh, another mouse like device dangling from the computer when I want to be wireless--which I do anyway with a USB extension cable so the said "lever" doesn't snap off if bumped).

I agree that most people "in the know" won't spill the beans because they often legally can't -and/or the dynamics of doing business and the constant change in the development process of said product(s).

Nevertheless, I would like to see a key that could take more abuse.

lb.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Rail

Yeah, they could have executed a little better, but the flaw wasn't simply announcing too early - that is to say, announcing early isn't always bad business practice.

From what I have been told, long before he died, Steven was unable to do the physical work on the mic due to his illness - ms I believe. The project manager is an aquaintance of mine and was instructed by Steven (or Stephen). Last we spoke the issues were manufacturing related - the design was complete before Steven's death. They have quite a long list of folks who have already ordered the mic.

So there was some benefit (advance orders) to announcing too early. No doubt they would liked to have had it out sooner.

Maybe you've noticed companies announcing a product at NAMM in January for shipping later in the year. I remember hearing about the ADAT months before the official announcement. That product became the best selling product in the entire industry. Announcing early started the demise of semi-pro analog tape machines.

In any case, there are good business reasons either way - announce early (test the waters and gather orders, threaten competitor's products that are already out, risking missing a deadline, competitors jumping in, etc.) or announce on release when you are ready to ship (avoid killing your own current products, keep competitors in the dark, risk misreading the market, etc.).

Secrecy and transparency each have their own costs and benefits. You (and Pace, and Digi, and Apple, etc.) seem to believe that secrecy always is the best course for a business. I say it depends. A little transparency wouldn't hurt Pace. I think it would help. There are exceptions to every plan - note Apple's recent announcement of Intel processors. Also, there are plenty of Logic users who would like to see a little of the old Emagic transparency in Apple's management of Logic.

So, as always on these "notanotherilokthread" threads, some of us want Pace to improve their product and service. Others don't. Rail, your perspective is valid. Good for you that you are so happy with the iLok. Maybe you think it can't be improved. Hope you can accept that others have valid perspectives too, even though we disagree.

Pace - be aware that some of your customers are unhappy. Don't wait until the cows are gone to close the barn door.

Best....H