Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 PM

Default WORST new install experience EVER!!!

I've got a project that needs to be done by this weekend. I have a license for PT10+CPTK, but since my machine is now running Yosemite I decided to try 11|HD. I have never had a worse first-day experience.

Click the icon to open Pro Tools. The splash window appears and...

...and nothing. No progress bar, no windows opening, nothing. It just hangs at the start screen. So I do a Force Quit. Try again. Same thing. More Force Quits, more retries, eventually it starts.

I open a session I created in PT10+CPTK. I hit the spacebar. The Stop button on the transport turns blue and the play button flashes. No movement, no sound. I hit the spacebar again. An error message appears saying something about a problem STOPPING Pro Tools. I dismiss that window and suddenly playback begins! That would be great, but there's no picture. There's a video track, there's a video window, but the video doesn't play. Just a black window. Previewing the video outside Pro Tools shows it's definitely good (which I already knew, since it worked fine in PT10). It just won't play in 11. I've tried switching the video engine on and off, toggling the video track offline and online, deleting the video and reimporting it, nothing works.

I try opening another session and get the solid stop button with flashing play button again. Repeated hits of the spacebar eventually result in playback, but again, no picture.

I try quitting Pro Tools and restarting it. Again, it hangs at the start window.

I give up.

I'm sure enough time with support would probably eventually result in enough workarounds to get my work done, but I'm not sure I really want to bother. If I'm going to put up with a mountain of crap like this right out of the gate (where do we start: the hanging app startup, the locked up playback, or the missing video?) I gotta wonder if I'm not better off just biting the bullet and waving goodbye to this circus right now before I waste any more time...

...and before I part with another CAD$750 for software that doesn't seem usable without expert intervention.