Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-24-2019, 06:40 PM

Default .FXP files...

I recently bought a Midi pack of sound files ....i was going to generate chord progressions to practice over......they came with .FXP files...in short ...how do i use these or load them...my understanding is they are Rhythm and Note info for the Midi files ... Newbee problems i know......i have PT11 on a Windows 7 - 64bit
Old 10-25-2019, 04:04 AM

Default Re: .FXP files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiekazu2 View Post
I recently bought a Midi pack of sound files ....i was going to generate chord progressions to practice over......they came with .FXP files...in short ...how do i use these or load them...my understanding is they are Rhythm and Note info for the Midi files ... Newbee problems i know......i have PT11 on a Windows 7 - 64bit
Is what you purchased a library of MIDI files or sound files? Those are two different animals. MIDI files just get put in either MIDI tracks or instrument tracks and are then used to trigger a vi. Sound files get put in audio tracks.

What exactly did you buy (product name, etc.)?

QAPLA!
Old 10-25-2019, 04:15 AM

.FXP files
Old 10-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, and FXP file is neither MIDI nor Audio, but stores the parameters for a specific plugin or virtual instrument. From what you're saying I think you're confusing MIDI files, which ALWAYS come with the extension MID (ex: filename.mid) with program files, which is what FXP is. If you have a certain VI, the individual patches either from the VI developer or ones you create are stored as FXP files (ex: patchname.fxp). There are other formats that different VI's used, but FXP is a popular format.

These FXP files are likely specific to a specific VI. So, I don't think you got a MIDI pack of sound files, what you most likely got was a patch library for a VI. Which one, I don't have any way to know. If its one you already have, then you can play those sounds on that VI however you normally play that VI. Just be sure your VI can locate the patches on your drive. Some require that any patch libraries are located in a specific folder on your system. Others allow you to point the VI to wherever the patch library resides. Without knowing which VI you're dealing with, I can't tell you how yours works. You'll need to check the manual on that.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Is what you purchased a library of MIDI files or sound files? Those are two different animals. MIDI files just get put in either MIDI tracks or instrument tracks and are then used to trigger a vi. Sound files get put in audio tracks.

What exactly did you buy (product name, etc.)?
They are Midi files.....just a bank of Chords .....i was going to use them to make Practice Tracks...I have ProTools 11.....I can drop the Midi File into a Instrument Track and assign a Virtual Piano or what ever to play it...my ignorance is i thought that the FXP files were like "Style Info".....such a duration of notes, intensity, beats ect ect
Old 10-26-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
If I'm not mistaken, and FXP file is neither MIDI nor Audio, but stores the parameters for a specific plugin or virtual instrument. From what you're saying I think you're confusing MIDI files, which ALWAYS come with the extension MID (ex: filename.mid) with program files, which is what FXP is. If you have a certain VI, the individual patches either from the VI developer or ones you create are stored as FXP files (ex: patchname.fxp). There are other formats that different VI's used, but FXP is a popular format.

These FXP files are likely specific to a specific VI. So, I don't think you got a MIDI pack of sound files, what you most likely got was a patch library for a VI. Which one, I don't have any way to know. If its one you already have, then you can play those sounds on that VI however you normally play that VI. Just be sure your VI can locate the patches on your drive. Some require that any patch libraries are located in a specific folder on your system. Others allow you to point the VI to wherever the patch library resides. Without knowing which VI you're dealing with, I can't tell you how yours works. You'll need to check the manual on that.

Hope this helps a bit.
They are Midi files.....just a bank of Chords .....i was going to use them to make Practice Tracks...I have ProTools 11.....I can drop the Midi File into a Instrument Track and assign a Virtual Piano or what ever to play it...my ignorance is i thought that the FXP files were like "Style Info".....such a duration of notes, intensity, beats ect ect

The Midi Files are a Unison....it just seemed like an easy way to put together some Chord Progressions....the Pac came with some stuff for Serum also....but i thought that Serum was an Editor Program for Sound and Midi Files .... at the end of the day Im just looking for some way to play the Midi Chord files with a Rhythm Style....Pop or Rock or Jazz ect
Old 10-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:

The Midi Files are a Unison....it just seemed like an easy way to put together some Chord Progressions....the Pac came with some stuff for Serum also....but i thought that Serum was an Editor Program for Sound and Midi Files .... at the end of the day Im just looking for some way to play the Midi Chord files with a Rhythm Style....Pop or Rock or Jazz ect

Serum is a full on virtual instrument.

I'm not sure what you mean by "The Midi files are a Unison"?

When you say you want to play the MIDI chord files with a Rhythm style, do you mean with some kind of arpeggiated pattern? Or a some sort of rhythmic gate chord pattern?

Maybe if you provided the link to whatever it is you bought, we could give you a bit better explanation. Not sure exactly what you have or what it is you're trying to do. We're glad to help, but need a bit more to go on.