Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2009, 10:05 PM

Default Can I do this?

I want to "try" and capture the signal from a single mic (mainly) to my control|24 so I get a digital track AND get the same mic source signal to my Tascam TSR8 reel

I'm hoping there's a simple way so that i can bring the analog/tape track back into PT and use the digital track as the reference to line up (and adjust time if needed) using peaks, pauses, etc?

This would allow me a single source for the headphone mix as well. ... up to now I bounce a rough mix of the instrumentation to tape, record the vocal, and bounce the vocal back to PT... seems there should be a more streamlined way

I suppose I could use 2 mics, but seems I might be opening myself up to phase issues
Old 02-26-2009, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Can I do this?

I think I understand what your trying to do ... it took me a bit to get my mind around it but I think you want to record vocals direct to tape without going through the digital (D/A) converter....but, you also want to be able to monitor it (Vocals) inside the pro tools session and get a "digital" recording of the Vox at the same time (without introducing latency)...Hmmmm. that would mean that you would have to go to the "analog" recorder first with the vocal and treat the tape machine (Tascam) as a piece of "outboard" gear. Im not sure of the input output configuration of the Tascam but my AKAI has a "source" monitor for headphones which introduces no latency. If you have something similar on the Tascam you can simply use that as an output to the CNTRL24 input (you may need a line leveler) and record that input as your "scratch" vocal. This should give you something to line it up to and you should be able to monitor the vocals in real time without much latency I would think..... I've never done this but it sounds like it should work....I'm sure someone else will have a much more simple solution......good luck

Last edited by Xavior; 02-26-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: New thought
Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Can I do this?

I think I'm going to just have to try some different "schemes" to see what works best- I've gotten one bit of advice that makes it sound like using the TSR as an outborad piece of gear and passing signal thru won't work... although I'm not sure I understand exactly why...

a project for a rainy afternoon