Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-15-2018, 01:50 AM

Default APFS and Mountain Lion Error

I mainly use Pro Tools 2018 and High Sierra (10.13.3) with my main SSD drive running on a 2010 Mac Pro.

Occasionally I need to open an older Pro Tools 10 session. In those cases, I switch to a separate internal drive running Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Whenever I switch to the 10.8.5 drive, I receive an error regarding my SSD drive: "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

I'm assuming this error occurs because Mountain Lion cannot read APFS. I usually just ignore the error.

Can this do any damage to my SSD? Is there any safer way to switch over to the Mountain Lion drive? Is there a "proper" way to do it?

I can't seem to find any solutions.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:39 AM

Default Re: APFS and Mountain Lion Error

Nothing will happen to it. You can’t damage it.

You can however accidentally erase or partition it. Be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Nothing will happen to it. You can’t damage it.

You can however accidentally erase or partition it. Be careful.

Thanks, Sardi!

That makes me feel better.

The dialogue box gives 3 options:
1. Initialize...
2. Ignore
3. Eject

I always choose 'Ignore'
Is that the safest/best option?

When you say, "Be careful" - I'm assuming you mean to avoid selecting "Initialize"
That is the option that could lead to the SSD getting erased, correct? Any other pitfalls I should be aware of?
Old 08-15-2018, 05:01 AM

Yep. That’s what I meant.

I’d choose ignore as well. Eject would also do the job.

It might be worth doing some Googling and seeing if anyone has written a script or utility that hides unformatted drives so that you can’t accidentally initialise/format your drive.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Yep. That’s what I meant.

I’d choose ignore as well. Eject would also do the job.

It might be worth doing some Googling and seeing if anyone has written a script or utility that hides unformatted drives so that you can’t accidentally initialise/format your drive.

I've had no luck finding a script, but I will take another look and report back if I find anything useful. Strangely, I haven't really seen much talk about the issue at all.

Thanks again for giving me some peace of mind!
Old 08-13-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
I mainly use Pro Tools 2018 and High Sierra (10.13.3) with my main SSD drive running on a 2010 Mac Pro.

Occasionally I need to open an older Pro Tools 10 session. In those cases, I switch to a separate internal drive running Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Whenever I switch to the 10.8.5 drive, I receive an error regarding my SSD drive: "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

I'm assuming this error occurs because Mountain Lion cannot read APFS. I usually just ignore the error.

Can this do any damage to my SSD? Is there any safer way to switch over to the Mountain Lion drive? Is there a "proper" way to do it?

I can't seem to find any solutions.
Just curious jsbach, years later. I seen you have the 2010 Mac Pro like myself. I use Open Core which allows you to switch back and forth between Mt. Lion or Big Sur.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:38 PM

Just curious why this old thread was resurrected, but in short:
  • APFS was introduced in High Sierra
  • Some computers were not able to install/boot until Mojave
  • If you have APFS drive and have it connected on older system such as Sierra it will not show
  • The connected drive however can be formatted to HFS even if it is not accessible on Finder
  • So that is why you need to be careful on Sierra and earlier
Old 08-13-2021, 06:29 PM

I was researching on how folks are doing with Open Core running Mt. Lion while switching back to newer OS versions. I'm aware Sierra is still HPS though. Actually you can boot into ancient Mac OS.
  1. Boot screen (via GOP for unflashed card, including some Nvidia card)
  2. Firmware protection (to run Windows in EFI mode without risking the cMP bootROM)
  3. HWAccel (H264 / HEVC hardware decode + encode in Mojave and newer macOS up to Big Sur 11.2.3)
  4. ability to watch DRM streaming content (Mojave and newer macOS up to Big Sur 11.2.3)
  5. Boot picker (only support EFI systems, tested with Apple wired keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Keyboard, 10s timeout. If you can't see this. Just don't touch the keyboard, and your cMP should continue to boot to desktop)
  6. NVMe and SATA drives on PCIe card show up as internal
  7. Support for Apple USB SuperDrive
  8. TRIM (regardless trimforce status)
  9. Ability to run non-GUI 32bit software in Catalina
  10. Ability to reset NVRAM in boot picker (disabled at this moment to align with the native Apple boot manager)
  11. Ability to run any natively supported ancient OSX with modern graphic card e.g. Radeon VII in 10.6.8 (only can display, no acceleration) [Update 5th May 2020: Sierra and High Sierra may not fully supported yet. Thanks for pierrox's report]
  12. Ability to boot Catalina / Big Sur Recovery Partition
  13. Sleep should work (tested on my cMP, but I can't guarantee it also work with your hardware)
  14. Possible to run 8x32GB RAM in macOS (user need to mod the config.plist manually. Replace the false below CustomMemory to true)
  15. Video acceleration is very cool.