Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Default Re: New Pro Tools Mbox Personal Recording Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemix View Post
I thought M-Audio WAS Avid.
I thought M-Audio was Midiman

But seriously thought, people with m-audio hardware looking to use or using Pro Tools should know that LE will have more functions and options than M-Powered. As I understand this is something that has been decided to do to eliminate competition between the two in house brands.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
I thought M-Audio was Midiman

But seriously thought, people with m-audio hardware looking to use or using Pro Tools should know that LE will have more functions and options than M-Powered. As I understand this is something that has been decided to do to eliminate competition between the two in house brands.
It only ended up disadvantaging the digidesign software vs other DAWs...the worst possible outcome.

One buys the M-audio 2626 since it is so much better than the 003, and digidesign goes and petulantly cripples it. So everyone who bought one simply cannot upgrade it by giving digidesign $1835 of pure gross margin (dealer cost of CPTK), and can't get all 26 io from it either. So they throw their hands up as I did and learn Logic, which gives you the full power of the 2626 as well as the new mbox pro. Now digidesign has to not only compete with M-Audio for existing customers, it has to try to win back those customers it thumbed its nose at.

NASDAQ:AVID is trading at book value. The least valued tech company currently listed afaik. And Apple? The most valued. An average four year old could have made better calls than that.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 PM

I'm hoping for good software.

I've got hardware.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

NASDAQ:AVID is trading at book value. The least valued tech company currently listed afaik. And Apple? The most valued. An average four year old could have made better calls than that.
If that's the case then it seems like Avid can only rise and Apple fall... seems like a good time to buy some Avid stock won't you agree?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
If that's the case then it seems like Avid can only rise and Apple fall... seems like a good time to buy some Avid stock won't you agree?
Since book value includes intangibles such as customer goodwill, it may very well be an overestimate of the true proceeds one could obtain in auctioning the assets. If the market comes to believe that, there is no floor.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Hey Ray

Do the new Core Audio drivers allow them to be used as aggregate devices?

It's been a little while but I seem to remember this not being an option with
any of the previous LE interfaces. It's not something I use all the time but
I guess ya never know when it would come in handy.

Just pre-ordered an Mbox Pro and I can't wait until it ships!
PT Mpowered 8.04, Logic 9.1.1
Waves SSL,Omnisphere,Korg Legacy Digital
Absynth 4, EZ Drummer
Project Mix I/O w/ Black Lion Mod
Axiom 61,25, Korg Nano Pad
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 PM

While we're waiting for his answer, I wanted to mention these have standalone mode. So you should be able to use one into the other (still with a max 8 inputs.

Meaning (if my theory is correct), if you wanted 8 identical preamps, you could go into the pres of the additional Mbox Pro, out the inserts, and into the line ins of the first Mbox Pro.

Just an idea.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Except... Apple isn't that way because of Logic. It's because of iPhones and iPods.

If Apple were only Logic and Final Cut... Avid would be kicking them around, or have bought them a long time ago.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post
Product Announcement: Introducing Pro Tools Mbox Personal Recording Systems
Third generation of bestselling music creation systems deliver powerful new features and universal software compatibility.

Avid is pleased to announce the new Pro Tools® Mbox® family of personal recording systems—Mbox Mini, Mbox, and Mbox Pro. Each Pro Tools Mbox system includes everything you need to produce professional-sounding music with their Mac or PC computer: premier, studio-grade hardware and professional Pro Tools LE® software. Building on the comprehensive feature set that popularized the original Mbox series, updates include professional-grade circuitry and converters, soft-clip input limiter*, built-in reverb*, guitar tuner*, assignable Pro Tools multi-function button*, and all-new drivers for rock-solid compatibility with other popular recording software including Logic, Live, Record, Reason, Fruity Loops, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Digital Performer, and more.

* Mbox and Mbox Pro only

Product Details

Premium quality
Designed by the same engineering team behind our top-of-the-line Pro Tools|HD systems, Mbox interfaces feature a host of advanced technology for exceptional quality. A premium analog signal path and high-performance converters deliver pristine sound. Stringent testing standards ensure rock-solid performance in the most demanding environments. And of course, Mbox interfaces are designed for ultra-tight integration with the included Pro Tools LE® software, which is based on the same platform trusted by professional musicians, engineers, and producers around the world.

Unsurpassed flexibility
Mbox interfaces are also compatible with other major recording applications, so you can make music any way they want. All-new drivers provide superior performance with Logic, Live, Record, Reason, Fruity Loops, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, and more—so you can use a favorite third-party DAW from start to finish, or record with the included Pro Tools LE software to ensure their sessions are compatible with pro studios around the world.

What’s New?
All three models feature all new hardware and drivers designed from the ground up. A driver control panel offers access to all HW functions. The drivers also support full ASIO, Core Audio, WDM and are multi-client to support nearly all audio applications. The extruded aluminum chassis houses a complete inner metal bracing system to ensure all components are well secured and protected. A large volume knob and ergonomically designed gain knobs have a professional feel you’d expect from a best-in-class interface.

Here are some of the things that are new in the Mbox family hardware…

Mbox Mini:
  • All new preamps with 20dB pad
  • Professional Cirrus Logic converters
  • High gain/low noise headphone amp
  • Fully balanced I/O

Mbox:
  • All new preamps with 20dB pad and Soft-clip
  • High gain/low noise headphone amp
  • All metal chassis
  • LLM support
  • HW cue mixer with reverb
  • Built-in tuner
  • Multi-function button for improved Pro Tools workflows
  • USB 2.0
  • Up to 96kHz

Mbox Pro:
  • All new preamps with 20dB pad, Soft-clip, HPF and 8-segment input meters
  • High gain/low noise headphone amps with independent routing and control
  • All metal chassis
  • HW cue mixer with reverb
  • Built-in tuner
  • Multi-function button for improved Pro Tools workflows
  • Monitor management (up to 3 stereo monitors or 5.1 surround)
  • Up to 192kHz (Pro Tools LE software supports up to 96 kHz sample rates)

For more information about these new products please visit the product pages here:

Pro Tools Mbox Family
Please feel free to post any questions or comments in this thread and our Support and Product Management team will do their best to respond.
Great !! Avid !! your almost there !!, a few more releases and surley you will surpass the Digi001's specs ..............
Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 AM

yeah, well, what do i do with my utterly useless mbox 2 mini, that i paid full price for? digidesign made a flawed product , admitted to it, and made no apologies or any steps to rectify it.

sorry , just venting.