Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Comparison of HD, LE and M-Powered?

I assign 3 of my cores to RTAS leaving 1 for everything else. I find this is more stable for me than to assign all 4. Of those that are assigned RTAS, yes there is a virtually even distribution of workload between them.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I assign 3 of my cores to RTAS leaving 1 for everything else. I find this is more stable for me than to assign all 4. Of those that are assigned RTAS, yes there is a virtually even distribution of workload between them.
That's pretty awesome that you can do this. To confirm--this works on PC M-Powered? I just want to be sure it's not a Mac-only thing or something!

Still, it seems odd that they can do this but not plugin delay compensation, which is actually a far simpler coding workitem??
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrena View Post
That's pretty awesome that you can do this. To confirm--this works on PC M-Powered? I just want to be sure it's not a Mac-only thing or something!

Still, it seems odd that they can do this but not plugin delay compensation, which is actually a far simpler coding workitem??
You haven't read this board very closely...the delay compensation workitem may actually already have been done years ago (and is kept around for testing), the management just forbids it from being released to the public because that is one of the primary ways the company irritates the native users into coughing up enormous amounts of money for an HD rig. It's their extortion scheme, just like i/o limits and tracking latency.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Delay Compensation can be done semi-automatically with Mellowmuse ATA...but digi has promised to add it to the native pro tools shortly. We'll see.

During tracking, the 2626 cue mixer solves your monitoring problems and yes pro tools puts the tracks in sync unless you are doing something odd such as monitoring through latency-inducing plugins on the master bus.

The Delay Comp implementation should resolve all of those issues, but Digi knows that it is effectively kissing HD and its vast gross margins bye bye when it decripples the native systems. They are going to--they are just trying to time it--and I believe they are too late.
Actually have a follow up on this earlier post too:

1) is there a thread in which digi promises to fix the delay compensation? could you point me to it? if not, where did you hear this and were they talking about Pro Tools 9 or some update on PT8?

2) I have monitored on the 2626's mixer, but you really want to be monitoring with the FX you're using (or at least that's the way I like to sing, my female vocalist prefers this, and it's pretty much required if you're doing most of your guitar processing this way), I suppose the only way to do this is to deal with the latency until #1 is fixed, right?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
You haven't read this board very closely...the delay compensation workitem may actually already have been done years ago (and is kept around for testing), the management just forbids it from being released to the public because that is one of the primary ways the company irritates the native users into coughing up enormous amounts of money for an HD rig. It's their extortion scheme, just like i/o limits and tracking latency.
Haha! That's pretty hilarious. I mean hilarious in that it shows how clearly clueless most marketing folks are, since people will probably be considering these two options against one another:

1) Spend $8,000+ on an HD system
2) Spend 1/10th (or less) on Cubase or Logic

Both solve the PDC problem ;-)

To my question (directly above) -- where can I read more about the PDC drama and what "soon" means in terms of their choice to roll it out? With Cubase 5 out you'd think the right time would be N...O...W.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Haha! That's pretty hilarious. I mean hilarious in that it shows how clearly clueless most marketing folks are, since people will probably be considering these two options against one another:

1) Spend $8,000+ on an HD system
2) Spend 1/10th (or less) on Cubase or Logic

Both solve the PDC problem ;-)

To my question (directly above) -- where can I read more about the PDC drama and what "soon" means in terms of their choice to roll it out? With Cubase 5 out you'd think the right time would be N...O...W.
I totally agree and this is why I whinge constantly about it. It's become an open embarrassment for the company and I want it to be worse until they relent.

They are on the record as saying "they are working on it" which is progress but there is probably argument as to whether it should wait for the HD successor (which may be years away) or whether it should be sold separately (can you imagine selling a bugfix? ) or linked to some new LE interface.

If I was in the room when these discussions were happening I'd tell them to cut the crap and fix the bug.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 PM

I looked up Mellowmuse ATA and for $29 it's obviously a no-brainer if I go with M-Powered. But I don't think this will fix the "I want to monitor my live recording with FX on and still be in sync" problem, will it?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I looked up Mellowmuse ATA and for $29 it's obviously a no-brainer if I go with M-Powered. But I don't think this will fix the "I want to monitor my live recording with FX on and still be in sync" problem, will it?
No. And it's a PITA. But it was a fun way of showing up digi for being such wipes.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Why is it a PITA?

Aside from putting it at the end of the plugin chain of each track, is there any other work you need to do?

I'd assume if I used this, I'd create a template that had this on every track by default. Or, since I use insert FX much more rarely than I use FX on busses, I'd just put it on every buss.

In Acid Pro today I have a template with 8 busses (and my fave multitimberal VSTi synths, etc all routed to busses and MIDI channels) and it has a dynamics plug on every buss by default.

I'd expect to do the same in PT, but after the dynamics plug I'd have Mellowmuse ATA.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Why is it a PITA?

Aside from putting it at the end of the plugin chain of each track, is there any other work you need to do?

I'd assume if I used this, I'd create a template that had this on every track by default. Or, since I use insert FX much more rarely than I use FX on busses, I'd just put it on every buss.

In Acid Pro today I have a template with 8 busses (and my fave multitimberal VSTi synths, etc all routed to busses and MIDI channels) and it has a dynamics plug on every buss by default.

I'd expect to do the same in PT, but after the dynamics plug I'd have Mellowmuse ATA.
There are tons of things wrong with it. It doesn't solve delay compensation in the general case, for one, requiring you to obey its preferred topology and demarcate each aux layer manually. Then you have to gain stage the plugin, ensuring it does not clip nor is it set too insensitive. The interface isn't "positive" about completing compensation and just sorta trails off. The documentation is awful...the programmer has no communication skills at all and has no assistant.

You actually have to insert it at the first slot rather than the last slot (which is right) and you need to have everything bussed a certain way. If you do your template thing you will probably want to inactivate it for tracking, otherwise your tracks will drop in at the wrong time. Etc. etc.

I should have programmed it myself but I didn't want to deal with it. Next time.