How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 PM

Default Inserts & Sends

Hi all,

Is there any timescale on when we'll be able to instantiate inserts and sends directly from the S6?

We "upgraded" two of our rooms (we're a Higher Education provider and ALP) from C24s to S6's and the features missing from the S6 (sends and inserts being the big two) are just mind boggling. The feel, softkeys and so forth make the S6 a wonderful upgrade, but not being able to add sends and inserts just boggles the mind!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Inserts & Sends

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.donnelly View Post
Hi all,

Is there any timescale on when we'll be able to instantiate inserts and sends directly from the S6?

We "upgraded" two of our rooms (we're a Higher Education provider and ALP) from C24s to S6's and the features missing from the S6 (sends and inserts being the big two) are just mind boggling. The feel, softkeys and so forth make the S6 a wonderful upgrade, but not being able to add sends and inserts just boggles the mind!
When one considers that the S6 is mostly aimed at Post work, and their reliance on templates, it's easier to understand the omission. IOW, if all your sends and inserts are already there, there's no need to be able to assign them. Is your mind "unboggled"???

No excusing it or saying you don't have a point, just trying to help you understand why it might be this way.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
When one considers that the S6 is mostly aimed at Post work, and their reliance on templates, it's easier to understand the omission. IOW, if all your sends and inserts are already there, there's no need to be able to assign them. Is your mind "unboggled"???

No excusing it or saying you don't have a point, just trying to help you understand why it might be this way.
I understand that, but as a replacement to the Icon, which was used in mixing facilities, too, you'd think there'd be more mixing functionality. Being able to exmake and a plugin over multiple channels is fantastic. Being able to assign sends and inserts like you can inputs and outputs would've been the cherry on the cake IMO.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:45 AM
Avid

Definitely on our to do list, once we get a few other things done first.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Definitely on our to do list, once we get a few other things done first.
Like naming the sources ?

~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 01-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Avid

Like automagically binding XMON or MTRX (AX32).

:)
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post

Hi Drew!

Wow!! Reading your post sent CHILLS down my spine!! "... mostly aimed at Post work" ?!?!? I may be completely missing it here but I think I could go back and find Avid ads, Avid statements in this forum, Avid presentations at conventions and conferences, Avid videos, etc that clearly describe the S6 as the perfect MIXING solution (along with being the perfect Post solution). And that it is intended to replace their previous mixing targeted products. I can at least say for sure a whole lot of us definitely had that impression.

Even without knowing you, I can assure you that you are FAR more knowledgeable about all of this than I am (which is why your comment was so scary). But from my point of view, I wouldn't have thought that a focus on Post (vs. say mixing, or tracking...) is, or should be, driving any Avid choices regarding what features should be included in S6 software updates. Did I buy the wrong thing??

PS. I've been feeling the same way as JP about inserts and sends and I think others have too??
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
Hi Drew!

Wow!! Reading your post sent CHILLS down my spine!!

PS. I've been feeling the same way as JP about inserts and sends and I think others have too??
Same, Russ.

We were in conversation with Avid at the time of purchasing and fully explained our needs. These were a replacement to two of our C|24's that we used for tracking and mixing, sure adding inserts and controlling plug-ins was clunky, but sends weren't. It's quite concerning to think we've parted with over 30k on two S6's to now be told what we're using it for isn't priority for Avid, and knowing the turnaround timescale for a lot of Avid's fixes, the concern is only accentuated.

Has anybody else noticed that the modifier keys appear to not function correctly? Setting inputs in batches (i.e all inputs to input 1) used to be a simple assign whilst holding alt on the C24, but on the S6, it doesn't seem to work the same way.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:58 AM

Guys,
I'm just a user like you are. I don't work for or speak for Avid. Sorry if you mistook my attempt at explaining possible motivations for an omission as subterfuge. I too would have expected complete ICON parity and then some by now, which is why I am not an S6 owner. Once it actually suits my needs, I'll buy. (I do get to use them at various studios though)

I did enjoy Russ's little dramatic post though, thanks!! :)

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Wait...? you can't assign inserts and sends from the surface? S6 has been out years now.

I'm about to pull trigger on s6m40 32 fader to replace my icon d control 48 fader .

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk