Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-04-2004, 08:55 AM

Default Scrub Wheel or Jog Wheel for PT

Is there a product that I can use as a scrub wheel or jog wheel for PT without having to buy something like the mackie control? Editing start points with a mouse is a pain.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Scrub Wheel or Jog Wheel for PT

Contour ShuttlePRO v.2

Has a multitude of presets that load when you launch the app that ShuttlePRO will be controlling.
FCP, FCE, PTLE, Safari etc etc.
I own the original ShuttlePRO....won't edit without it...
Saves about an hour a session by not having to mouse everywhere, plus with user assignable buttons, make them do what you want.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:50 AM

Great idea!

What functions do you use it for?
Is it easy to set up?

Regards
J.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:02 AM

Install the drivers for it, plug it in and reboot...their developers have not figured out how most everyone else in the world that makes drivers for the Mac can do an install without rebooting...I don't hold it against them....

Launch the Contour Shuttle application to assign the buttons...if need be. The most used functions are already pre configured for Pro Tools. In the CS app, are a few drop boxes.... Application Settings, Device (since they have three models), User Action, Computer Response and Frequency. If it is a keystroke that you are assigning, you can tell the CS how many times to perform that function, from "Once every 4 seconds" to 2 times per second to 60 times per second to "As Fast as possible" on up to "Hold It Down", whatever you want.
It is user friendly (use defaults) and very complex (custom keystrokes) at the same time....

I use it in PTLE, FCP, FCE, QuickTime, MOTU DP, Bias Deck, Apple SoundTrack, GarageBand, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, DVD Studio Pro....there are 38 apps that the CS is pre-configured for....all of those above are in that list.

Well worth the money...it's is a REAL time saver.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 AM

Sounds very cool.
Lexicon5: I also am interested in examples of how you use it or what functions you find it helpful for. Thanks for the info.

-derek
www.phoenixensemble.com
Old 05-05-2004, 08:28 AM

I've posted about this in the Windows forum.

You might want to look into this also.

This computer Keyboard,will be released in about a month, with a possible PT version or Sticker set coming.

They also have a white one that's Mac only a little different and the price for this one is only $99.00.

Both options are much cheaper than the Contour Shuttle.

FatBelly Slim

Oh no, not the sprinklers again.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:11 AM

Thanks Fatbelly,

I saw that keyboard. Forgive my lack of knowledge but what are the uses of a Jog/scrub wheel?
Sank you.
www.phoenixensemble.com
Old 05-05-2004, 11:20 AM

I have a Shuttle (original) that I've moved onto my PT station. One problem I'm having is using modifier keys (command, alt, ctrl, shift) with keys or wheel on Shuttle. For example: using the wheel (assigned to - and + for nudging) with shift and alt/command for nudging selection boundaries. It ignores the modifier keys and just nudges the whole selection left or right.

On my HUI this is a cool thing, but doesn't seem to work with Shuttle. Any ideas?..

Thanks,
JT
Old 05-05-2004, 11:28 AM

Wouldn't this be a good thing to have for $35? I'm not 100% sure it would work with PTLE, but check it out.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 05-05-2004, 01:26 PM

It does work with PTLE, but it has limited use. You can program click, long-click, turn left, turn right and click-left, click-right. Not a lot of options. Especially given that long-click and click-left and click-right are very difficult to pull-off.

Why does anyone scrub or jog? Isn't it easier to just click the mouse where you want to go? Scrubbing is entirely too difficult to control and in this age of no tapes, it seems archaic and kludgy....
002R/PTLE 7.3.1