Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Default Re: A Cry For Help...

I realize this is a long and tedious process. In the end you may find the culprit plugin but you may not like the results. As you stated, if Eleven Free is the issue and it is one of the plugins you need the most, you are left with no immediate solution. Continue your troubleshooting. It seems deleting preferences and databases after removing or installing a plugin also helps to clean things up since Protools has to rescan your plugins library. If you do isolate the one or more plugins causing the problem, check to see if there is any more recent updated version available.

Sometimes the plugin does not need to be used in the session to cause problems. Simply having it installed (not instantiated) can also cause problems. This is why I asked you to move them to the unused folder and restart Protools. You might simply create a session with multiple tracks but not using any plugins for your testing to see if this is the case.

Be patient and not too tired when you do this as you might overlook something.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Default Re: A Cry For Help...

I have had a similar problem, though not as severe as what you are reporting. And yes, I have been through the process of installing and testing my plug-ins one by one.

I usually just hit Play again and the problem goes away. I know the error message refers specifically to plug-ins, but I don't think plug-ins are always the culprit. I have solved it at times by changing the way my processors are allocated.

You haven't said anything about how you manage your buffer sizes in Pro Tools. Choosing the next larger buffer size usually solves the problem for me. Latency is not an issue with most plug-ins these days. Certainly not during playback.

A buffer setting of 512 samples creates latency of 11.6 milliseconds, which is faster than what we can perceive. Even 1024 samples is only approaching that limit. I apologize if I'm preaching to the choir here.

Just curious, do you have ADC turned on?

I know these are simple solutions that you've probably already thought of. Just thought I'd point them out, since you haven't mentioned them.

Cheers.