Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-29-2019, 01:03 PM

Default Older DigiLink Pro Tools HD Native PCIe with new Mac Pro?

Can anyone assure me that my current (about 5 yrs. old) Avid Pro Tools HD Native PCIe card will work fine in a new 2019/2020 Mac Pro?

Any comments or issues?

Thanks!

Robert
Old 01-09-2020, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Older DigiLink Pro Tools HD Native PCIe with new Mac Pro?

Well, I took delivery of one of the new Mac Pro's a couple of days ago and my HD Native card does NOT work.
Avid lists the machine as not compatible with Pro Tools.
Since it's a simple PCIE-card that should work without issues I cannot see why it doesn't.
Not a huge Mac fan, these weird things a standard. Not to mention that it almost has no connectivity except USB-C. One internal (good for keeping iLok safe) and two external USB's.
One HDMI and three USB-C's on the graphics card. Only system audio connection is a analog 3.5mm mini tele headset jack, used to be optical spdif.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Bartos View Post
Well, I took delivery of one of the new Mac Pro's a couple of days ago and my HD Native card does NOT work.
Avid lists the machine as not compatible with Pro Tools.
Since it's a simple PCIE-card that should work without issues I cannot see why it doesn't.
Not a huge Mac fan, these weird things a standard. Not to mention that it almost has no connectivity except USB-C. One internal (good for keeping iLok safe) and two external USB's.
One HDMI and three USB-C's on the graphics card. Only system audio connection is a analog 3.5mm mini tele headset jack, used to be optical spdif.
I am interested given my system below which at some point I will probably upgrade to a new Mac Pro.

Interesting, so to clarify since your system is not listed . You have card digi linked to what Avid interface ?

And "does not work" means HD native card is not seen/not listed as an audio device selection ? Or is seen, listed, and selected but will not boot PT ?

What machine and OS were you using it on before ?

Please give a bit more detail

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-10-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:09 PM

I have one older cheese grater Mac Pro and one more modern PC that has run my two HD Native systems without issues.
On Avid's site in the compability section, mac's up to the trashcan model is listed as compatible.
The HD Native card is installed normally and the HD driver and PT is installed.
The interface blinks when the machine is powered on, so the cionnection is fine. However, when starting protools the software doesn't establish a link with the interface. HD Native is also not available as a choice for Playback Engine.
So it seems the PCIE card is installed fine, but not properly recognized byt the system.
Interestingly I have also not been able to get my UA Apollo Twin to get recognized by my the machine. Of course the latest available drivers are installed. That's connected via Thunderbolt to USB-C.
My conclusion is that apple has changed something in how the OS works with audio and drivers need to be updated to work.
Probably just a question of time, but somewhat irritating nevertheless.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Bartos View Post
I have one older cheese grater Mac Pro and one more modern PC that has run my two HD Native systems without issues.
On Avid's site in the compability section, mac's up to the trashcan model is listed as compatible.
The HD Native card is installed normally and the HD driver and PT is installed.
The interface blinks when the machine is powered on, so the cionnection is fine. However, when starting protools the software doesn't establish a link with the interface. HD Native is also not available as a choice for Playback Engine.
So it seems the PCIE card is installed fine, but not properly recognized byt the system.
Interestingly I have also not been able to get my UA Apollo Twin to get recognized by my the machine. Of course the latest available drivers are installed. That's connected via Thunderbolt to USB-C.
My conclusion is that apple has changed something in how the OS works with audio and drivers need to be updated to work.
Probably just a question of time, but somewhat irritating nevertheless.
Still unclear what "interface" are you actually using But since you said HD drivers I will assume it is an Avid ? But in any case Have you tried Holding down the N key while launching PT ? I have done this in the past to get PT to recognise my HDN when it wasn't showing as a playback device

I don't have any UAD So take with a grain of salt,,,, I don't know about "latests drivers" and whether that is a separate download from the software like in PT HD BUT according to the UAD website, unless you have the latest "software" version of UAD (v9.11.0) it will not be recognized on a Mac running Catalina

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-13-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:12 AM

Have you allowed the HD-driver in the Mac security settings?

Jesper
Old 01-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Also check for the digilink ilok auth. Newer PT versions will not let you use your hd cards without a digilink auth.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-13-2020, 11:32 AM

Yeah if your PT version is 12.6 or higher you need the digilink license on your ilok key which is bought separately or included in the Support Plan for PT Ultimate.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM

Perhaps try giving PRAM a reset if you haven't already. It has jolted my HDX system back into presence a few times.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Perhaps try giving PRAM a reset if you haven't already. It has jolted my HDX system back into presence a few times.
Good idea! We fixed our HDN pcie card a few times like that when we had it and LDS thought worked for us.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————