Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Help - Slowing down a guide track - me going crazy!!

Hi All,

I have a band in at the moment tracking drums to a click and three guide tracks. The guide tracks can't be done again, the player is overseas.

One of the songs was recorded at 195bpm and is a bit fast, the drummer wants to slow the click and the guides down to 190bpm.

The click is no problem, I cannot do that in the tempo edit window but I am at a loss how to time compress the guides so they match up with the new click and tempo.

To test, I recorded the click to a track at 195bpm, changed the tempo to 190bpm and played around with the time shift and time compression plugins but no matter what I did the new rendered click audio track does not line up with the bars and beats of the new tempo. It's all over the place.

Guys, please help. Is there any simple way to slow these audio tracks down from 195bpm to 190bpm so they still line up with the new tempo map and click?

Thanks

JohnG
320GB Internal HD
70GB-OWC Firewire Audio Drive
Digidesign 003Factory, MPT2, Protools 8.0.3
Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Help - Slowing down a guide track - me going crazy!!

If you know the original BPM, set your session tempo to match. Next; select TICKS for the audio(guide) tracks and enable polyphonic Elastic Audio. Now change the tempo to your new BPM and the guide track should shrink or grow to follow.

BTW, if these guide tracks are going to remain part of the final mix, and the EA processing makes them sound bad(which happens sometimes), you might consider downloading the demo version(14 days I think) of Serato Pitch 'n Time as it does a great job of changing pitch or tempo on audio tracks.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
you might consider downloading the demo version(14 days I think) of Serato Pitch 'n Time as it does a great job of changing pitch or tempo on audio tracks.
+1

The TC/E in Pro Tools is at best absolutely cr*p!

You need to use Serato PnT, Sound Toys Speed, Waves Soundshifter or X-Form if you want to use elastic time without any artefacts!

Go to Pro Tools preferences and choose the TC/E there once you've installed one of the above and then Elastic Time will run using one of those.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:09 PM

Thanks Guys,
I'll give tick based EA a try. They are only guide tracks for the drummer to play to and will be replaced so quality not an issue.
JohnG
320GB Internal HD
70GB-OWC Firewire Audio Drive
Digidesign 003Factory, MPT2, Protools 8.0.3