Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-10-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: McDSP Analog Channel or Cranesong Phoenix?

Quote:
I forgot about the DUY analog stuff, those plugs do sound great
I am interested in DUY. Which particular plugin are you liking and what kind of results are you getting? I am often looking for something more agreesive than Phoenix, but a LOT less agressive than Lo-Fi or Sans amp. Is DUY the solution? Which plugin are you liking and what kind of settings? Anyother PIs that provide sweet harmonic distortion we should be checking out?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Cranesong Phoenix presets

Quote:
Robert,

Which Phoenix plugins (from the available 5) do you use most and to what effect?

Izhar
It varies depending on the mix, but I usually find myself going back to similar settings 90% of the time. I tend to use the 'Luster' plug-in, on the 'Saphire' setting with the process level set to maximum. Then I'll just alter the input trim to adjust how "hard it hits the tape". I don't hit it too hard but just enough to pull in some of the peaks so that the limiter doesn't have to work quite so hard. This setting adds a little bit of smoothness to the top end as well as brightening the it and will generally get another dB or two out of the mix. Doesn't work for everything but I use it an awful lot and wouldn't like to be without it.

Robert
Old 11-11-2005, 12:45 AM
DUY

Hi Josh!

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply! I forgot about the DUY analog stuff, those plugs do sound great. As much as I would like to get them all, it's just not in the budget right now.

Just to let you know that if any of our bundles is not in your budget, you can also purchase any of our TDM plug-ins individually... That is, for instance, only DUY Wide, or only DUY DaD Tape, DUY DaD Valve, etc...

They can be purchased through our online store at www.duystore.com as a download, or through any authorized Digidesign distributor, also as a download.

Best regards
Old 11-11-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Cranesong Phoenix presets

Thanks Robert.

I use Iridescent on practically anything, choosing any of the 3 eq curves according to the source material.

I use Dark Essence on overly bright and brittle vocals as an extra compressor that also smoothes the top end, Fairchild style.

Izhar
Old 11-11-2005, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I forgot about the DUY analog stuff, those plugs do sound great
I am interested in DUY. Which particular plugin are you liking and what kind of results are you getting? I am often looking for something more agreesive than Phoenix, but a LOT less agressive than Lo-Fi or Sans amp. Is DUY the solution? Which plugin are you liking and what kind of settings? Anyother PIs that provide sweet harmonic distortion we should be checking out?
Hi,

I only really use the DUY valve? it has presets for each instrument type! but oddly enough i'll often have a snare drum set to flute preset etc. just close my eyes and flick through the presets till one sounds right then do a bit of tweaking. i love it on individual instruments best and occasionally on busses.

R.E. Analogue chanel...

I have just used this on a mastering session with great success! the tracks were all a bit thin and cold! indie rock songs! and the analogue chanel was a great for adding what i call "rump and shake" the guitars suddenly sounded powerfull and warm and everything just glued together better.

i also use this a lot in individual instruments! especially drums when i want them to sound more tape like! just helps the other elements of the mix to be heard better! also use on electric guitars and acoustic when i want a softer sound for when its just guitar and vocal playing.

And phoenix gets a lot of use, for making things stand out in a mix!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:02 AM

I've just got a copy of Crane Song's Phoenix and I must say it's the best plugin I've bought in a long while. I'm still bashing away on my old Mix System and it really gives my mixes that extra "bit". I was considering Analog Channel as I've used it in the past, but I figured that my mastering guy uses all of Cranesong's gear so maybe there is something in it. I'm quite chuffed to report back YES!

Old 11-12-2005, 12:44 PM

i just got Phoenix too, and i must say, i am IMPRESSED! cool. it does add a lot to tracks and mixes that were missing in what i wanted to hear. can take a good, but clinical mix and fill out some 3D space.

i used AC a long time ago...maybe it is better now, but it was too subtle for me. it helped, but not enough some times. also, the qaulity, to my ears does not compare. i never went WOW! with AC. with Phoenix (maybe because it is new) i go WOW!

phoenix is so versatile...you can really dial in the amount you want. and it is DSP efficient!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-12-2005, 02:37 PM

Having used both for quite some time, I find them both different. What works on one track may not work so well on another. Like anything else, it's a matter of preference, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They're both excellent plug ins.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Hi all, I was just wondering what DUC members think of the McDSP Analog Channel plugs and the Cranesong Phoenix plug-in. I'm in the market for one or the other, and I would like some opinions about how each perform. I'm particularly interested in how they "warm" tracks (add harmonics, etc.) Do they perform as advertised, or is it just a marketing thing? Are there other alternatives (non-hardware) that I am overlooking? If you could only have one (well, AC is 2 plugs, but...) which would you choose and why?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

JB
I own Analog Channel, a Cranesong HEDD 192, a Studer A809 quarter inch tape machine & I have also tried the demo of Phoenix. I tend to use Analog Channel & the Cranesong HEDD together in most sessions & quite often I will also go to real tape depending on the sound I want. To me the emulations don't capture the sound of real tape. For example the Cranesong HEDD & Cranesong Phoenix doesn't process the entire signal. It is a parallel process that adds a tape saturated compressed sound to the original signal. Analog Channel however does process the whole signal & can change the tone of the whole track & sounds different again & can add energy to the mids if set correctly. Real tape adds low level hiss, compresses the whole signal & sounds different to any of the emulations.

Given the current price of cheap 2 track tape machines I would be more inclined to buy a real tape machine. Try to get one that runs at 30 I.P.S. & have it aligned & biased for Quantegy GP9 tape. If you can get a Studer, Ampex or Otari for around the same price as one of the plug-ins you mentioned you will be amazed at how good it can sound strapped across your mix.

If it's convenience you prefer then one of the emulations can do a fairly nice job, although in my opinion not as good as the real thing.

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 03-10-2006, 12:49 AM

Hey, hope nobody minds i'm bringing this thread back to life...

Which MCDSP AC do you use, AC1 or AC2?

Also, do you usually engage the 'auto gain' when using it on the master bus?

Would love any feedback.

Thanks,

SG