Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Default Screen freeze, control 24 offline and RTAS overload messages fresh Leopard- PT8

Hi,

Having had a few issues last week with the control 24 scribble strips flickering and getting RTAS overload messages, which I thought could be related to Leopard being installed over Tiger. I have done a clean install of Leopard and PT8 and only using compatible and latest versions of plugins.

About once every few hours or so everything completely freezes for about 10 seconds, the control 24 faders go down, then the control 24 has lost ethernet connection error message appears, then the RTAS overload message then eventually it all starts to work again. If I’m on the desktop at the time the mouse even freezes there as well, so not just in PT does it freeze.

The control 24 is connected directly to the mac (not connected through a network hub for checking)

Everything is working 100% in 7.4 on Tiger and I worked all day Saturday like this no problems at all.

Possibly related? When I minimize PT to go to the desktop etc. I noticed that PT will often stop sending the signal from Q-Capture to my outboard EQ after a while. This doesn’t happen in 7.4 and tiger! Once I maximize PT again and press play Q-capture starts to send a signal again??

Same 2 rtas plugs i always use for mastering Waves L3-16 and PSP Neon HR, 2 processors and the CPU meter jumping up and down like a yoyo!

Lost on this one can't think of anything else to try!! back to 7.4 i guess

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Screen freeze, control 24 offline and RTAS overload messages fresh Leopard- PT8

I too have had this problem recently, and removing a bunch of the plugins from folders has seemed to fix it for the time being. Any others?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Screen freeze, control 24 offline and RTAS overload messages fresh Leopard- PT8

I have the same problems.

Everything is fine on 10.4/PT7.4 but lame on 10.5.5/PT8.

Someone suggested disabling one of the processors (I'm on a G5). I'll try that.

Digi, please help.

Izhar Ashdot
Old 01-20-2009, 02:27 AM

...spoke too soon. Once again I am having the same problems as before, and the session has very little plugin draw on the cpu (I've gotten away with WAY more RTAS in the past). I have just finished re-seating all the cards and ribbon cables, an will try running the same PT session as before to see if I still have a problem.
- I am running PT8 on 10.5.6 with an HD and accel card, along with a UAD-1 pci-e card and 8Gb of RAM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Avid

We have a session from crizdee, but we're having trouble getting together a system that has all the plug-ins he's using. As soon as we do, we can take a look at this.

If you could all post your plug-in version list (use the tools in the General Troubleshooting thread), we might be able to find a common denominator.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We have a session from crizdee, but we're having trouble getting together a system that has all the plug-ins he's using. As soon as we do, we can take a look at this.
Hi DS,

I decided to look into this a bit further and think i might have found something relevant. I noticed the scribble strips kept flickering very regular in PT8, so decided to video the control 25, and discovered that it keeps flashing the message "pro tools has a dialog on the screen" see utube video below!

Now here's the good bit! I'm 99% certain it is happening when autosave is happening has all the signs; with autosave set to 1 minute... if i do nothing for several minutes then do a small edit it will happen, same as autosave! when doing small bits of editing less than a minute it will happen on the minute etc.

Maybe this is causing the ethernet to disrupt?
maybe this combined with the RTAS error messages is enough to make PT blow-out. it seems connected today when i was also using melodyne plugin and the screen would freeze for 2-3 seconds, sound would loop. CPU would overload then go to zero, press play and back to work for few minutes.

Youtube EMPTY SESSION!!...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK9_apu6XbY

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM

OK, I disabled the 2nd processor and PT8 now works like a charm.

Digi, please fix this.

Izhar Ashdot
G5 1.8DP, 10.5.5, PT8 HD3
Old 01-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdot View Post

Digi, please fix this.

Izhar Ashdot
Hi,

Exactly what problems were you getting?
screen freezes?
control 24 offline?
RTAS overload messages?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdot View Post

Digi, please fix this.

Izhar Ashdot
We will as soon as we know what the problem is - in this case, it's still unclear where the problem lies, as our test systems all work perfectly. Usually you have to decrease the number of processors when you have plug-ins installed that are either a)incompatible or b)are not fully RTAS optimized. In either case, there's nothing we (Digi) can do about it, as they would need to be updated by the manufacturer.

However, if the problem is something else, we'll find out and implement a fix as needed.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We will as soon as we know what the problem is - in this case, it's still unclear where the problem lies, as our test systems all work perfectly. Usually you have to decrease the number of processors when you have plug-ins installed that are either a)incompatible or b)are not fully RTAS optimized. In either case, there's nothing we (Digi) can do about it, as they would need to be updated by the manufacturer.

However, if the problem is something else, we'll find out and implement a fix as needed.
Hi,

Just did a bit more testing!

with 2 processors: overloading the RTAS CPU by inserting 5x Waves L3-16 and i get the RTAS over load message as expected, But also the control 24 goes offline quickly and all faders drop down then comes back again a few seconds later, and also noticed that the Elastic CPU meter also starts to show usage with 2 processors when RTAS is pushed

With 1 processor: i can overload the RTAS cpu and i just get the RTAS overload message.

This as well as what i found 4 posts up!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com