Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-27-2002, 04:31 PM

Default I just bought a Focusrite Penta

It was tough for a minute...didn't know whether to go with the trackmaster with the eq or the stereo out. I chose the stereo out instead. I do a lot of strings and thought the stereo would be a better choice. I can also run my stereo out on the digi to compress the stereo mix.

Does anyone else use it? How are you setting it up? As an insert or straight through the penta to digi?

Let me know....and give me some love!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:29 PM

Default Re: I just bought a Focusrite Penta

anyone using a preamp at all?
Old 02-27-2002, 07:12 PM

Just 2 things,

How does the simulated "tube warm" and "stereo expander" sound?

I was also deciding between the Penta and Trak Master too.

Best Regards.

-mike
Old 02-27-2002, 08:31 PM

so far so good...the compressor work really well and the presets are almost perfect on their own...the stereo mix is really what got me though. I have not tried it on vocals yet...right now just rearanging the studio...I will tell you in about an hour.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:48 PM

i was thinking of getting one of these also, but have not had the chance to hear one yet...
Old 02-27-2002, 08:57 PM

cool, let us know more as you learn it and experiment, I'm still looking at buying one this week.

pk
Old 02-27-2002, 09:02 PM

<<so far so good...the compressor work really well and the presets are almost perfect on their own...the stereo mix is really what got me though. I have not tried it on vocals yet...right now just rearanging the studio...I will tell you in about an hour.>>

Wow! I am very keen to know the results of the "tube warmth" knob. Whether it really did warm up the vocals or does it just muddle up the mix.

Also I believe the Preamp are of better quality then those of the Digi.

Can't wait for your results.

Best Regards.

-mike
Old 02-27-2002, 09:39 PM

okay intial testing:

Preamps are much better than the digi. My voice is very clear and very strong and that's without the compressor on. With the compressor on (there is a vocal preset) it applies very nice compression and tube warmth, not muddy, more of a soft feel.

I compared my last vocal track using the digi pres yesterday to today. I applied the digi comp vocal plug and the c4 and the focusrite still sounds better! It is a clearer fuller sound. The preamps on the digi seemed a little tinny and airy to me. (just an opinion)

Also, I tested my kick track on my mo phatt by tweaking it to their "kick" drum setting. Right off the bat the kick drum had punch to it. What's great about the presets are you can adust the ratio, compression attack right on the front panel until you get the sound you like. Very nice.

That all I have so far and so far I am very happy with my purchase. The pre is great and the compression presets save a lot of time and frustration. They have obviously been preset by someone who knows. I will keep you posted....ask away and I will try to answer as quick as possible. I know how I got before I bought...you just want someone to tell you something good. By the way...it was you guys who lead me to this rack...first I thought joe meek, dbx, and then presonus, and last but certainly not least focusrite. All of your research helped me choose. So anything I can do to help...let me know.

citi
Old 02-27-2002, 11:15 PM

citi -

just out of curiosity, how do you have it hooked up, direct to Digi, insert, bussed through a mixer? I got curious when you mentioned running your kick track through it.

Also, did you buy it at SA or GC on Sunset or online? I don't live in LA anymore but I can't find it anywhere online, you'd think it's discontinued or something!

Enjoy the Penta [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

pk
Old 02-28-2002, 12:35 AM

Thanks ALOT Citi!!!

Wow... there's so much talk about the Penta here and you're actually the first person to give it an initial review. You'll be a legend man!

<<It is a clearer fuller sound. The preamps on the digi seemed a little tinny and airy to me.>>

This is what I wanted to hear. I'm not satisfied with the digi pres as they sound too thin and digital, wanted that full "tube" sound without all that muddyness, with clean power sounding pres.

BTW, what mics are you using and do you mind listing all the gears you're using and signal chain?

Best Regards.

-mike