Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 01-27-2002, 12:35 PM

Default Dead Fader Diagnosis

Hi everyone
So after 2 years of trouble-free use, (to answer the "Fader Mortality" Thread) I finally have a fader problem. Fader 4 on one of my fader packs squeaks on powerup like it's rubbing against something inside, doesn't pass or read automation to Pro Tools, and when I recal the faders it reads 553 or so, unlike all the others that read 1223-1232. Sound familiar? Anyone? Thanks in advance!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-28-2002, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Dead Fader Diagnosis

bump.
Anyone?

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-29-2002, 04:10 PM

Joe:

Fader problems are an ongoing thing with the PC and Fader Packs. If you search here you'll see I have complained about it a lot. Since almost day 1 nearly 3 years ago we have had problems. I finally gave up on one and bought a new one at over $200. BTW, we have a PC and 2 FP so 24 faders. Later I had a problem with one and swapped it for the bad one I had taken out. Now the bad one seemed to work OK in that position. So since them I have several times swapped faders around to find controllers they liked better. I now have 2 that will work for a minute and day or so, but are very flakey. I have done everything I can. I have recal'd, re-firmwared, etc etc. Tweaked the trim pots on the faders(no one has ever said what those do). I just hate to keep forking out $200 everytime a fader acts up. I have a large console that I have never bought a fader for.

I think for what these things costs that they should work better or Digi should have an exchange program for bad ones or a reasonable repair policy.

I would like to hear from Digi Eng about this. I am sure everyone would...
www.classicrecording.com
Old 01-29-2002, 08:29 PM

Hi George,
Thanks for the reply! I watched your fader saga unfold here on the DUC awhile back. I feel for ya! I guess I've been lucky (very). Anyway, Stan Cotey emailed me with plenty of info so I think I'm set for now. Although, laying in a supply of a few faders seems like a good idea from here on out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-30-2002, 08:54 AM

Joe:

What did Stan offer? Anything we don't already know.....
www.classicrecording.com
Old 01-30-2002, 09:09 AM

No, nothing other than what you've already posted. I guess I was just happy that I wouldn't have to send in a Fader Pack to get one fader fixed, and the tip that the unit would still run even with the fader removed. I dunno, maybe this could be a marketing tool for the facility: "See, this fader went bad just like on an analog console. You know, it's like, retro. Cool, huh?"
Thanks for the info George,

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-30-2002, 06:19 PM

I've found the digi-fader a truly wonderful thing, they feel great, always work (here) and replacements are just so inexpensive.

Probably the cheapest touch sens. fader in the industry and probably the nicest too.

Everyone raves about P&G's, I don't get it, gimme a digifader any day!.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2002, 08:22 PM

I agree.

They are like a woman. When everything is OK, great.....but when they start acting up...look out.

I love them when they are all OK. You just apparently haven't had several or even just 1-2 start slamming or die in a session with a client sitting there...

I got a nice response from Steve at Digi tonight. He shed some light on several things.
www.classicrecording.com
Old 01-31-2002, 12:34 PM

I think George means me! Just for everyone's information, we offer a couple of options for faders. A brand new fader can be purchased for $175 USD from customer service or they will happily refurbish a fader for $50 USD. In the case of commercial facilities, I usually suggest purchasing a spare or two and rotating out worn faders.

As you all know, motorized faders are an electro-mechanical item and as such, are subject to normal wear and tear. I could tell you the horrors we put our faders through during testing but instead, I'll spare you. Suffice it to say that I'm very happy with the quality and longevity of them.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:16 PM

175 bucks, gotta love that!.