Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Unable to locate hardware - OS problem or hardware problem?

Hi everyone.

I've spent many hours googling and searching and I haven't been able to find my answer here or elsewhere online, so I apologise if it has been answered before but I've tried to exhaust all other avenues before posting.

My problem is: I just bought an Mbox Pro 2 Factory, and Pro Tools gets halfway through launch before saying the hardware cannot be located.

I'm aware that OS X 10.4.10 is not supported yet, but from my research I've seen that some people have been able to run Mbox and Pro Tools 7.3 successfully on that OS, while others have not.

Because I'm on a computer I share with my partner, I can't really revert to 10.4.9 as she needs 10.4.10 for other programs.

The important thing to note is that my Mbox's lights do not illuminate, regardless of whether it's being powered by Firewire, or the included wall power supply.

Everyone I've asked about this seems to have a different opinion. Some say my problem is strictly due to the incomaptibility of 10.4.10. Others say the lights should be on regardless, so it must be a hardware problem.

Can somebody please confirm for me if the Mbox lights should be on? I'd like to at least eliminate hardware malfunction as a cause before concluding that it's an incompatibility issue. If it's about the compatibility I'm willing to wait for a Pro Tools update, but if it's just hardware then I'd like to get this fixed so I can start recording as soon as possible.

Here's my system: Not glaringly high-end but I believe it's within requirements, aside from the OS.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B08
SMC Version: 1.9f4
Old 07-22-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Unable to locate hardware - OS problem or hardware probl

The power indicator LED on the front of the MBox 2 Pro (the one at the top-left) should be orange when powered by firewire (no AC adapter) and green when the AC adapter is connected. The power indicator should light up regardless of whether the Pro Tools software/drivers are installed. (If the MBox 2 Pro is connected via firewire, but not communicating with the computer for some reason, or if the drivers/software is not installed, the power indicator will BLINK orange or green, depending again on how it is powered).

If you aren't seeing anything light up when you plug it in to a firewire port and/or the AC adapter, then it sounds like the unit is probably defective. It definitely doesn't sound like an issue with your OS version.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Thank you Alan.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 PM

Did you ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem with a Digi 002 i just bought. I also can't revert to 10.4.9 because my iphone needs 10.4.10. wondering if you found a work around... this is all really aggravating.

-matt
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Did you ever figure it out? I'm having the same problem with a Digi 002 i just bought. I also can't revert to 10.4.9 because my iphone needs 10.4.10. wondering if you found a work around... this is all really aggravating.
Mine was diagnosed as a hardware problem by Digidesign, and it's now at an authorised repair centre.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Unable to locate hardware - OS problem or hardware problem?

Little update:

The service center was unable to repair my Mbox so it was replaced with a new one, which works perfectly despite having OS 10.4.10.