Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Preserve fades question and feature req.

Hi,

Given that "preserve fades" is on.
is there any good reason why a cross-fades turn into a fade-in when you slide the right hand region earlier over the other region? Why would anyone want a fade-in between two adjacent regions?!

Please Digi, unless there´s a good reason for this behaviour please make PT preserve the cross-fades too or rename the option to "preserve fade ins/outs".

The way it works now I have to leave "preserve fades" unchecked or hand delete the resulting fade-in and recreate the cross-fade every time I´m moving a part of a bunch of cross-faded regions.

Thanks,

frank.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Preserve fades question and feature req.

Absolutely! This drives me bananas.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 AM

A similar yet time-consuming thing happens when you pull the second part of a cross-faded region onto the next track the cross fade turns into a fade out and fade in allright but the no longer overlap making a cross-fade on two tracks instead they resemble a fade down followed by a fade in.
This also makes no sense at all to me. And since this procedure is done 50 million times a day when editing dialogue I wish this could be fixed.

To sum things up: The feature "preserve fades" is really only true for fade ins and outs.

Frank.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:00 AM

Just noticed that 11.1.3 finally preserves fades correctly when pulling one side of a cross-faded edit to another track.

Thing is you have to manually select the clip plus the fade. PT will not preserve the fade correctly when you simply grab the clip and pull it down.

So still room for improvement.

AVID, after 6 years + of gradually fixing this you are almost there! Now just this small thing and you got it.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 AM

Wohoo! This has bugged me, so now it bugs me less. An improvement. Thanks for the tip Frank.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Wohoo! This has bugged me, so now it bugs me less. An improvement. Thanks for the tip Frank.
I think it might have been like that before 11.1.3 and I simply didn't notice because I have turned off preserve fades for 6 years and only turn it on to test after updating my system (only to turn it off again after that ;-) ). So it might have worked like this 11.1.2 as well.
It's definitely better now.

frank.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:06 AM

No Frank, the Read Me pdf (for 10.3.9) states this improvement in it.
Preserve Fades when Editing now functions properly when moving clips with crossfades to other tracks. (PTSW-173175)

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 05-11-2014, 02:06 PM

Yes, but Avid did get it wrong by only fixing it half-way. It should simply be the default when "preserve fades" is checked. I should be able to just grab one of the clips and pull it down to another track without having the manually select the clip and the full crossfade first.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:32 PM

I assume that Avid just don't understand what's wrong with it and why we are moaning for 6 years. Just don't get it!
I have no other explanation. I would if Avid would state its a complicated issue, not resolving easily.
E.g. I was told by the support (they called ironically a customer success) that a playing lag with the new AVE in PT11 is a feature and it works like a satellite rather an old video engine in PT10 used to be.
Same with "automation follow edit" not following bug. e.t.c.

Lets pray they don't brake anything else in a future update.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 AM

There's still A LOT wrong with it.

If you delete either the incoming or outgoing = FADE BROKEN
If you pull to another track non-vertically = FADE BROKEN

It's so obvious to a user how it should work yet AVID can't fix what has been the top ranked bug on the ideascale for at least 3 years.

And even the ideascale idea has a bug as it has gone missing and come back about 5 times in the last 3 months