How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Default How to upgrade MPowered

Hey gang,
How do I find my M-Audio Transit serial number for crossgrade purposes? There is no serial printed on the unit itself and I think I've long since thrown away the box. I don't know if I ever registered the unit with MAudio.. I'm not a 'good register-er'. When I plug the unit in will any of the Mac tools look down the USB line and tell me?

And on this idea-- I WAS going to use my MBox2 Pro to crossgrade for the $249 rather than the $349 for my Mpowered.. but it dawned on me that if I want to sell my MBox2 Pro -- I could be 'stranding' my buyer with no upgrade path. Is that correct? Only one crossgrade per serial number?

I'm crazy in that I own an MBox2Pro, MBoxMicro, USB Transit and Firewire 1814 -- so I have 4 potential units eligible for crossgrading. But again -- how can I find my serial for this little USB Transit unit.

Thanks in advance,
Grant
Old 12-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Default Re: How to upgrade MPowered

Just head to the Avid Store and select the MPowered to PT9 upgrade in the drop down menu.

It will ask for your iLok account name and that should be all you need.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Just head to the Avid Store and select the MPowered to PT9 upgrade in the drop down menu.

It will ask for your iLok account name and that should be all you need.
No. I've been through the process once already. And at the Store they don't ask you for hardware serial #'s. I had a big fight here in a thread with someone (and the DigiTech guy) that said ALL crossgrades require a hardware serial# when you register at Avid. For my son's we'd recently registered his MBox3 and at the registration page it ONLY asked for iLok.com ID and let me go on. But guys here told me that that was 'impossible' - it HAD to have asked me for a serial# too. Except that in my case -- it didn't... uggh. I believe the reason I wasn't asked is that though you don't see your hardware when you're logged into MyAccount -- the hardware IS there and it affect how other windows work at the Avid site.

But I'm pretty sure I never registered any of my other LE or MPow gear at the website. SO -- I need to find my serial# ON my gear -- or somewhere else. That's what I'm asking for.

When you buy from the store -- it asks you for NOTHING except your money. It's only after they email you a REG CODE and you go to the Registration site and ENTER that code that they ask you for BOTH your iLok.com account name AND a QUALIFYING hardware serial# from an LE, HD or MPow piece.

So my original question stands....
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM

I never supplied a hardware s/n. I think you can load PT9 on multiple computers but use one at a time as it will now require the registered iLok to work on each computer every time you use PT9.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Only Le hardware has the crossgrade, because the hardware is tied to the software. M-audio hardware has no crossgrade, only the m-powered software, which should is usually purchased separately. They did bundle some m-audio products with M-powered software, but they are not tied together. If you have a M-powered iok and avid account with the M-powered software you are all set.

Pt9 $600 - $250 m-powered software = $350 crossgrade price!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM

The M-Powered crossgrade I believe requires you to surrender your M-powered 8 Ilok license so Ive read. There is no need for the serial, I'm sure because it's not tired to any hardware, only the ILok account. LE to 9 (requires a hardware serial) Except for the one case mentioned. But it does require it. M-Powered to 9 requires your iLok asset (so I've read) but is 100 dollars more but has no hardware tied to it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
The M-Powered crossgrade I believe requires you to surrender your M-powered 8 Ilok license so Ive read. There is no need for the serial, I'm sure because it's not tired to any hardware, only the ILok account. LE to 9 (requires a hardware serial) Except for the one case mentioned. But it does require it. M-Powered to 9 requires your iLok asset (so I've read) but is 100 dollars more but has no hardware tied to it.
M-Powered cross grade does not ask for a serial number, just your ilok ID account name. It does however remove your M-Powered ilok license rendering your M-Powered software useless !!! That has pissed me off, no where does it state that you will be surrendering your M-Powered license when you cross grade, this sucks !!

I wanted to use M-Powered on my XP machine and PT9 on my new Win 7/64 machine, just move my ilok between them. I feel cheated, I own numerous software apps and have done dozens of cross grades and upgrades and have never once had to surrender my original license !!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixiSoft View Post
M-Powered cross grade does not ask for a serial number, just your ilok ID account name. It does however remove your M-Powered ilok license rendering your M-Powered software useless !!! That has pissed me off, no where does it state that you will be surrendering your M-Powered license when you cross grade, this sucks !!

I wanted to use M-Powered on my XP machine and PT9 on my new Win 7/64 machine, just move my ilok between them. I feel cheated, I own numerous software apps and have done dozens of cross grades and upgrades and have never once had to surrender my original license !!
Ist this really true????? Unfortunately these digidesign guys are tech guys and seem to have no idea what it means to produce music and seem to have no idea about sound. If they had they wouldnt be so ... to cut of any possibility to run old versions of the software. There are two very easy to understand reasons for using earlier versions of the software:

(1) All new versions need more power, so sessions that were at the edge DO NOT WORK ANYMORE.

(2) Newer Versions of Plug-Ins often sound different, so you CAN NOT EDIT EARLIER MIXES.

Until there is no solution to run M-Powered 8 AND 7 Software with a 9-upgraded iLok there is no way for me to upgrade to Pro Tools 9.

But I am quite sure that digidesign gives a sh.t about that.

Greez

waldkirch, germany
http://www.longmansleep.com
[email protected]

-----------------------------
iMac 2.4 DUAL/2Gig/10.4.x/10.5.x, QuadCore/4Gig/10.6.x
-----------------------------
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longmansleep View Post
Ist this really true????? Unfortunately these digidesign guys are tech guys and seem to have no idea what it means to produce music and seem to have no idea about sound. If they had they wouldnt be so ... to cut of any possibility to run old versions of the software. There are two very easy to understand reasons for using earlier versions of the software:

(1) All new versions need more power, so sessions that were at the edge DO NOT WORK ANYMORE.

(2) Newer Versions of Plug-Ins often sound different, so you CAN NOT EDIT EARLIER MIXES.

Until there is no solution to run M-Powered 8 AND 7 Software with a 9-upgraded iLok there is no way for me to upgrade to Pro Tools 9.

But I am quite sure that digidesign gives a sh.t about that.

Greez
I don't understand the confusion.
The M-Powered to PT 9 crossgrade requires the surrender of your M-Powered iLok asset.
All M-Powered sessions will open in PT 9.

As to the above posts, and it's numbered points:
That's really not the case at all.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
I don't understand the confusion.
The M-Powered to PT 9 crossgrade requires the surrender of your M-Powered iLok asset.

Please show me official AVID statement of this requirement.

All M-Powered sessions will open in PT 9.

Unless PT 9 does not work

As to the above posts, and it's numbered points:
That's really not the case at all.