Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Default Most Time Saving Key Command Shortcuts?

Over the years I've picked up enough of these that I probably save myself a lot of time, but I've watched some PT operators that are just scary fast.

What do you guys find are the most useful on day to day basis, the "must know" time savers to work fast and efficiently?

I suppose we should all dedicate ourselves to learning one new one a day or something....

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-30-2009, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Most Time Saving Key Command Shortcuts?

Apple - S, Apple - S, and Apple - S.

It's saved me so many times in the past, just make it a habit.

But seriously, just figure out what you do the most and start getting in the habit of using the key stroke for it. Any of the File/Edit/Track, ect. menu commands like New Track, Consolidate, Fades...Just get in the habit of using it instead of your mouse and you'll get faster the more you do it.

http://www.keyxl.com/aaac31a/263/Dig...-shortcuts.htm

I sometimes will keep this page open while mixing or just messing around with ideas, just so I can learn new key strokes while I'm actually on PT rather than just trying to memorize it and then remember it later when I'm actually mixing.

Home:2013 nMac Pro 3.5 GHz 6 Core Xeon E5, OSX 10.10, 16 GB RAM, UA Apollo Quad Thunderbolt, PT 11.3.1
Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 PM

+1,000,000 for cmd+s.

actually when I think of it, I usually use the mouse only to select and put the cursor on location, and creating fades with the smart tool. Trim tool when adjusting between regions and I think this is it. All the rest are key strokes. If I need to do something that I don't know the shortcut for yet, I click with the mouse on the menu to see the shortcut on the right side, click away, execute the shortcut, and memorizing for next time.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM

Biggest time saver for me...

Command + q

See a world of possibilities open up before you
Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew814 View Post
Apple - S, Apple - S, and Apple - S.
Hehehe, that is a great tip...but has anyone have anything against the autosave option? In any system I work with, I am setting PT to auto-save every minute and to keep the last 5 auto-saved sessions. This has been working just fine for me but in all honesty I still find myself Apple-S-ing more often than not!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:26 AM

All the F keys for selecting edit mode and tools.
All the Number Pad keys unless you're using a laptop keyboard.
The smart tool takes some getting used to but is hugely worth it.
Crossfade shortcuts for default and dialog, and learn to control the dialog with (modified) arrow keys.
Selection shortcuts - modifier key(s)+Tab.
Group/Ungroup regions.
Track height and view shortcuts - modifier key(s)+up/down arrow keys.
Try out all the different things that Memory Locations can do. Build yourself a custom set that you import from a template each time you start a new session, so that, e.g., zooming in to the sample level or restoring your favorite pre/post roll times is always the same number.
It's amazing what you can do with .number. using MemLocs to recall Window Configs in combination with track show/hide and track heights!
Import and Import Session Data commands.
Bounce.

Those are some of the ones I use every day. I also use Keyboard Maestro for macros to do things like:
Call up my favorite Audio Suite plugins, also opening an FFT RTAS window at the same time when appropriate.
Make a cross fade at each end of a processed area then playback from one second earlier.
Open Preferences.
Delete unused regions.
Open and close Undo History.
Open and close the Color Palette.

Stuff like that.

Nyquist was right.

PT 2021.3 Ultimate | Omni | macOS Mojave in a Trashcan
PT 2021.3 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10, HP Z440