Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Up to 30 sec. Lag time saving Session and auto-save backup

I am experiencing up to 30 seconds lag time when saving a session with ONE instance of MOTU's MachFive2 (2.02- latest version) in the session. This even happens when PT auto-saves session backups. I've been through MOTU's support "experts", who still cannot solve another problem with dissappearing loops. Does anyone know in general how to get rid of this problem. It does not happen in other sessions without this instrument. The system was totally stable with MachFive1- which has apparently been discontinued. Please help.

4 X 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5
2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.4.8
PT HD TDM 7.3.1
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Up to 30 sec. Lag time saving Session and auto-save backup

Quote:
I am experiencing up to 30 seconds lag time when saving a session with ONE instance of MOTU's MachFive2 (2.02- latest version) in the session. This even happens when PT auto-saves session backups. I've been through MOTU's support "experts", who still cannot solve another problem with dissappearing loops. Does anyone know in general how to get rid of this problem. It does not happen in other sessions without this instrument. The system was totally stable with MachFive1- which has apparently been discontinued. Please help.

4 X 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5
2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.4.8
PT HD TDM 7.3.1
Hi,

Unfortunately everytime Pro Tools saves it also saves the settings af all the PLugins in the session. and mach five will have to save all its settings AND samples, hence the 30 seconds save time.

I have never experienced a save time this long and i have mach five in some sessions, but maybe not huge samples etc.

Are you streaming the samples from disk or loading them into ram? maybe this will make a difference! try experimenting between streaming and loading.

I must admit i often bounce parts to audio quite soon when using mach five and sampletank.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Thanks, Chris.
I will experiment with all mentioned. Maybe the MachFive2 has some different structural needs than it's previous version...
Joe
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Chris.
I will experiment with all mentioned. Maybe the MachFive2 has some different structural needs than it's previous version...
Joe
Hi,

Just had another thought

Where is your mach five library stored? if it is on a slow USB drive or a firewire 400 drive the save and load times will be slower! Mine is stored on a second internal SATA drive, which is much faster then external USB and FW400.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Up to 30 sec. Lag time saving Session and auto-save back

Thanks again for the additional info, Chris. I tried the "streaming vs. non-streaming" settings and cut the save/auto-backup time to around 12 to 15 seconds (better, but still...). Did understand your logic regarding the SATA vs. 400 Firewire speeds, but it still brings me back to the original problem. I was originally able to run a fully loaded instance of MachFive1 AND a fully loaded Kontakt2 sampler in the same session without any lag time. I am using a dedicated 400 Firewire External drive since I need to be mobile, but this has never been a problem prior to the MachFive2. I really would not mind the manual save time taking a little more time, but the biggest problem of all is that the Protools automatic session backup process, which usually occurs quietly in the background, is now intrusively interruptive of the live session itself (freezing operations while it backs up). Digi, if you are seeing this please advise. Is there anything else to try? If I did not have previous problem-free operation, I would not be so perplexed. I may try rebuilding my MIDI template from scratch and only introducing the MF2 (new nickname)....and see if I have any luck. Otherwise, please feel free to chime in.
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 AM

Anyone from DIGI here????
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 02-28-2008, 11:13 AM

This happens with all samplers. Depending how many and how large the samples are, this takes more or less time. I have set my auto backup to 30 minutes or longer, or never, depending on my work schedule. I only save large VI sessions when I have something else to do, like eat ;-)
It's really annoying, I know, but unfortunately, it's the way it is for now. Using a VI like synful, which doesn't load samples like a traditional sampler, the save is almost instantaneous. synful just went RTAS and has a free demo to try. http://www.synful.com/

Try this. Import all your MIDI files into a new session and replace all the sounds with synful sounds, (don't use MachFive or any other sampler) and see if this improves your save time.

My rule of thumb, in all VI (MIDI no audio) sessions, is that the save time should be roughly the same, or actually - in proportion to - a better way to put it, as the initial load time. If your save time is much longer than the initial load time, then there may be something else going on.

Good Luck,
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Avid

Quote:
Anyone from DIGI here????
Have you tried the standard trashing preferences, etc?

Unfortunately, we do not have access to Mach 5 for testing purposes. If you updated from Mach 5 1.x to 2.x and that's when the problem started occurring, it most likely has something to do with Mach 5 and not something that we could necessarily fix.

Have you contacted MOTU? Did they have anything to say about it?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks again...glad to finally have you on board...I was away from my studio due to a strange foot ailment (nothing sexual, you strange dogs!), so I will try some other diagnostics tomorrow... will keep you posted, but if you saw the whole post, you may have picked up on the MOTU vibe... that's why my "allegiance" is with you. More to follow.
Joe
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM

Good points. Thanks, but now we have DIGI online...hopefully more to this...I mean we are in HD!!!
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com