Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Audio Record or Playback Volume Error Message

i have an Mac OS X 10.4.6 1.83 GHz Intel-mac, m-audio 410 interface, and a lacie 160 firewire external hard drive. I have tried to reformat my drive many times now, and every time i try to change the record volume, it will not allow me to select "playback" or "record".

I used my hard drive on different pro tool set ups, and it worked just fine from the start. I dont know if maybe my version of pro tools is not compatable with the lacie hard drives or what, but it feels like i have tried it all.

if anyone could offer any advice, i would really appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:50 PM

Lets try to get some answers on this thread.
I have a brand spanking new MacBook Pro with 2GHz Intel Core Duo processor(s). I am running PT M-Powered 7.1.1 (which accoring to other threads i shouldn't be able to do). Abandoning all hope on my internal HD I purchased a 320GB firewire HD. I then Formated this drive to OSX Extended (journaled) and made sure the partition table was set at GUID, although there is only 1 partition. Starting up PT, no chance at switching the drive to "r" because it is "not a valid audio volume". Please tell me it is still possible to use Pro-Tools on this laptop. considering that i bought this equipment to use on the advice of my school to use for required classes.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Same problem here: my new Powerbook IS setup as Mac OS Extended with Journaling. Still can't get the internal HD allocated as a record/playback volume in the Workspace.

Any suggestions? Re-formatting the drive is out of the question for me, there MUST be a simpler solution.

I just installed the 7.0cs whatever update...should I actually uninstall my entire PT M-Powered? Any suggestions how to do that, and/or which files I actually need to remove?

Thanks,
Justin
The problem here, Justin, is that you can NOT record to your system drive. If you're running on a Powerbook, I'd recommend getting an external firewire drive AND a PCMCIA firwire card. Why? Because you don't want your M-Audio IO and the harddrive on the same firewire buss. Even if you have FW800 on your Powerbook, the 400 and 800 run on the same buss and share traffic.

To be safe, get a card for the external drive and keep your IO on the internal buss.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:48 AM

I did the worskspace window and all of that and it let me open a session with my external hard drive as the recording sysem. But now whenever I turn on the record function it gives a hug hiss and overloads the channel. I've unplugged the mic and verythnig and it still does that. Anybody know what to do from here?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:45 PM

I am experiencing this problem as well. I'm using Pro Tools m-powered academic 7.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.8. Pro Tools will not allow me to set my external LaCie hard drive to a record volume, even though it is properly formatted. No matter how many different times I reformat and trash the preference and database files and reboot, Pro Tools never sees it as a "valid audio volume".
Old 10-23-2006, 11:50 AM

I would LOVE to know where or what manufacturer makes these express cards with FW 400/800 for MBPs
I did a quick googling and only Belkin came up.

This is quite frustrating.

Mg
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM

eff it I bought a transit and I'll just use it for editing.

anyone want to buy a brand new fw 410 for 350USD...ugh...so annoying.

MG
Old 12-17-2006, 07:09 PM

ANSWERS!!

I has the same problem with my drives when I first got my new MBP 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo - the internal laptop drive and all of my LaCie d2 drives, all properly formatted to Mac OSX Extended (Journalled) were ALL apparently incompatible with PT. They would only allow to be set to Transfer, but not to Playback or Record.

A few email from Digi support recommended the usual nonsense - reformat drives etc.. I did reformat one drive (as it was empty), and it made NO difference!! Then I was told it was probably cos my new laptop wasn't yet qualified and so probably incompatible. Yeah right...

THE SOLUTION IS: first move all third-party plugins and settings to a temporary folder, then completely uninstall ProTools using the UnInstaller that came on the CD. After uninstalling, use Spotlight to find any pref files etc the uninstaller may have missed and trash them. Then re-install ProTools and update to the current version. It then all WORKS FINE!

My new MBP came with a FW800, and I use a FW410 interface for my audio with PT-MP. So I bought a $64 SIIG 2-port FW400 Expresscard/34, hoping to use this for my FW410 while keeping the FW800 port for the LaCie drives.

IT DOESN'T WORK! Well it does, but only a 400mb/s.. As soon as the SIIG card is inserted, even though it creates a second separate FW bus, it still takes the speed og the 800 port down to 400, because there's only one FireWire controller on the MBP's logic board.
So the answer is - get a SATA ExpressCard/34, SATA enclosures and SATA drives (getting cheap now), and keep the FireWire free for your audio interface.

cheers,

nG
Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Audio Record or Playback Volume Error Message Info

so i have to buy the upgraded version?
that sucks
Old 03-11-2007, 06:16 PM

Hello there. I am having the same exact problem with my iMac/ProTools. Were ever you able to fix it. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

Dennis
[email protected]
Closed Thread