Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-07-2004, 01:46 PM

Default G5 - Only two PCI Slots with certain Video Cards

Note right from apples website.

Special note on the ATI Radeon 9800 XT and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL: the larger size of this advanced graphics card reduces the number of available PCI or PCI-X slots from three to two on the Power Mac.

I'm sure many were looking forward to a G5 with a couple of 30" Cinema displays. I guess not. I would have already bought a G5 if it had 4 slots, but only 2 slots usable, that makes it a flat no-go unless there is a workaround?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Re: G5 - Only two PCI Slots with certain Video Cards

Completelty agree.. I've called Apple 2 times a day posing as different people to complain, and put in the records that they NEED a new G5 with the same amount of PCI slots that the OLDER G4 had,,, hell why not MORE !!!

But there is a work around,, which I will do, if they don't address that problem with-in a year.. Get the MAGMA 64 bit 7 or 13 Slot PCI Expansion Chassis. Check it out here : http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/7slot6433/index.html

Hope this helps---
Old 08-07-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: G5 - Only two PCI Slots with certain Video Car

This has already been covered in this thread as well as this thread.

There are two ways around the problem, one now and one that is currently a pipe dream. Either buy an expansion chassis, or wait for the fictitious, always denied to be in development HD|Accel Core card. After all, this is the perfect reason for Digidesign to release such a beast.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:59 PM

I already bought and sold one Magma when I upgraded from Mix 5 to HD3 two years ago on Digi's first deadline for the Mix to HD upgrade. I only had the Magma a year and lost $1200 is the transaction. What a mistake it was to upgrade especially since I am still finding OS9 and v5.3.1 to be the best choice (most stable) so I have not advanced at all in 2 years. I could have done the same hardware upgrade last month (2 years later)and jumped right to Accel and a G5 for the same dollars. Yes I bet the Acel Core will be here soon as the next money grab in the planned obsolescence scheme. I would bet a million it is denied to be in development because the development was completed at the same time as the Accel cards. . . now just waiting it out for the right point in time to maximize revenue. . it is all so very anti-benevolent in my opinion.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:24 PM

Agreed.. But to me, even if they do invent/release the Accel Core card, I STILL will need a Expansion Chassis if I want a G5..

There is just not enough PCI slots in that new G5.. And I am wondering what in blue blazes was Apple thinking when they invented a computer 4 million times as powerful as their last , but with less the amount of PCI slots, AND on top if that about half as much bays for internal hard drives !!!!!

Oh,,, man,,, I gotta go,,,, I'm gunna puke ,,,,, Apple just made me sick
Old 08-08-2004, 09:38 AM

Default Re: G5 - Only two PCI Slots with certain Video Car

I would bet it has to do with over heating issues. Apple probably wants only a limited amount of heat generating devices in the CPU. Just my $.02.
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page