Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2020, 07:10 PM

Default How to import MIDI Tempo and Meter data separately

Hi,
I have a large session. I need to:

1) import MIDI *meter* information from an external MIDI file

2) run beat detective to determine tempo information from an externally generated audio click track that is supposed to be in time with the MIDI info imported above, but which has had some musical time compression/expansion added to it in post.

The ultimate goal is to get the meters and bar lines to match exactly what is in the written score so that the tracking engineer can easily navigate through a 1000+ bar score and 75-minute session.

I can import the meter from the MIDI file, which is great. I can also run beat detective and generate a perfect tempo and Pro Tools-generated click track, which is also great. The problem is that when I get the tempo identified, and write it to the timeline, it deletes all the MIDI meter information I imported.

The same happens in reverse. If I generate the tempo first, and then import the MIDI file, the new tempo data all gets replaced with the tempo data from the MIDI file.

Is there any way to import these separately, or is there a good workaround? Thanks - this should be so simple, and it would save me so much time.