Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-07-2001, 02:17 PM

Default g4-400 bogs down with plugins!!!

I'm getting the standard amount of plugins on my mixes, but the g4-400 bogs down and I can't even mix the way I want to. I have audiosuite stuff and bounce and do stuff I don't want to do. Is any body out there doing something inovative to get more plugins, like using the light pipe out and in and using external fx??

Is there away to use external fx without printing a track? I tried but it did not record the aux input tracks to the final bounce.

My system
G4-400
2 HD 7200
650MB Ram
Digi 001

------------------
http://www.achadwick.com [email protected]
Old 06-07-2001, 02:27 PM

Default Re: g4-400 bogs down with plugins!!!

Make sure the disk cache is set to 512K in the memory control panel. Made a huge difference on my 733.
Old 06-07-2001, 02:33 PM

yes, thankyou, it is and I followed all the digi specs, haven't tried trimming the extensions yet, but I use a pc for everything, so there are only three software titles all together on my mac, Peak, ptools, and toast, that's it. Everthing else is totally stock other than digidesign settings. I'm running mac os 9.1 with pt 5.1
Old 06-07-2001, 02:36 PM

Question for Lucky.... Do you get all the plugs you need to get a mix done with that super fast 733?? I'm sure you do much better than the 400 but can you really finish a full blown mix without premixing or commiting anything before the final bounce. Thx.

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 06:33 PM

With a DP 500 I can get as many as 25 plugs to a mix including CPU hungry reverbs and multiband mastering compressors. Yesterday someone posted that got 43 plugs on a mix. You should be able to get into this territory, or at least close.

I sometimes bounce my fx returns to free up CPU, and I'm currently trying to set up a digital hardware reverb in place of my main mixdown reverb plug for the same purpose.

One thing I would definitely do is use the Extensions Manager and set up a stripped down set for just your DAW software that you can start up with when you need CPU cycles. Also set up a specific set for Toast. I can see how you might want to use Peak without rebooting, but maybe also a set for just DAW and Peak combined might help.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:08 PM

A Chadwick

Here are some numbers that I got while testing system performance between a PIII 1.2Ghz and a Mac 733. This is copied from the other thread

"For those who are interested in the information for themselves as to compare your systems performance. This is a very specific test and the point is not to list your rigs' inventory but two fold: 1) total track count of test, 2)
MOBO + CPU + RAM + HD --that's it, plain and simple. We all must follow the parameters of the test exactly as defined below otherwise the results are meaningless. We have to keep the test consistent.
The test is as follows.

*** NOTE Make sure your Sample rate is set at 44100 under the Setups-->Hardware menu option.

Eric Day (Digi Engineer) uses a similar test when testing new versions of PT.

1) Open new PT session
2) Create a new mono audio track
3) Add PT stock effects Compressor, 4B-EQ, Slap delay, medium delay, long delay.
4) Open the System Usage window under the Windows menu item to see the CPU utilization.
5) With your mouse select the newly created track from step 2 above.
6) Press Alt-Shift-D (to duplicate the track)
7) Record enable the track.
8) Repeat step 6 until your CPU goes into the red.
9) If your CPU is in the RED delete the last track created. IF it's still in the red, delete another track until the CPU is back in the green. Click on the CPU meter after every deletion to reset the meter (see warning below).
Going into the RED means your getting a -9128 message from PT.
10) Hit RECORD, and record for 60 sec. (it doesn't matter what you record as the file still get's created). If your CPU goes into the RED then delete a track and repeat step 10 until you can record 60 secs. without peaking."

Here are my results:

Here are my G4 results and some comments.

1st test was with the machine configured as I usually have it (PCI slot 1= Digi 001; Slot 2= Magma PCI expansion chassis; Slot 3= Aurora Fuse video capture card; Slot 4= Adaptec 39160 SCSI card) Internal 60 GB 7200;
3- 36 GB 10,000 rpm SCSI drives. (1 dedicated to audio the other 2 are in a RAID for video) RESULTS:
PT version: 5.1
Tracks: 13
MOBO: Apple
CPU: g4-733
RAM: 1.5 GB/133
Drives: 10,000 Ultra160 SCSI (audio only)

Now, I though that this seem low, even with the 5 effects per track, so I re-configured my PCI slots.

New config = Slot 1 Digi 001; slot 2 Adaptec 29160 (taken from my expansion chassis) I eliminated the RAID, the video capture card, the expansion chassis and the dual channel SCSI card.

RESULTS:
22 tracks fully loaded - the PCI expansion chassis was really loading the PCI meter of the system usage - I think that that caused the low track count.

That's 110 plug ins and it took a major reconfiguration of my system. I will never need that many and have successfully used as many as about 30 plug ins in every day use. I was only able to get 13 tracks (5 plugs each) with the config that I need to use everyday but that is more than enough for me. It does seem that the PCs are smokin' the Macs, though. I think the gap will be closer after Digi supports Alti Vec and dual processors.

This is an interesting test, if you have the time and patience you will really be able to find the extentions and control panels that rape the 001 performance. I also seemed to get better performance out of some older 7200 UW2 SCSI drives. It seems that the 10000 rpm drives and 39160 were too fast for the 001. I did dumb down the SCSI rate before the second set of tests.

[This message has been edited by Lucky (edited June 07, 2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 08:39 PM

Hey Thanks for the advice guys, I did the davec test and seemed to get normal results compared to other macs. I posted my results on both the pc and mac areas. But I will take a second look to see if somebody with a 400 is getting more than me.

I will also reload my enitre system and trim the extensions, I won't mind at all booting to only use Pro tools, as far as toast I puposely never even installed the extentions it came with. I just use it with an ide burner.

Again is any body using outboard fx succesfully? Can you do a final bounce and expect the aux returns to be included??? Or am I forced to print fx tracks??

------------------
Old 06-07-2001, 09:53 PM

I ran a test tonight to make certain I was able to bounce aux tracks using external effects from my Oasys card connected via lightpipe.

I did a one minute test using reverb turned high so there would be no mistaking that the effect either made it or did not.

I did not print the fx track but simply went straight from aux to bounce. The reverb was clearly written in the bounced file.

I am not doing anything special to make it work so I am at a loss as to what your problem might be. I assume you are getting output during normal playback from your outboard gear. Are you possibly solo'ing tracks for your bounce and forgetting to solo the aux track as well? Wish I could offer more.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:08 PM

Hi A Chadwick, I have a TC Electronic M-One connected via spdif to my 001. It works perfectly, just have a stereo aux with input selected as spdif LH/RH and output to your main stereo out. All effects are printed when you bounce to disk and the M-One is a big improvement over D-Verb and Tru-Verb IMHO.
Cheers,

Tim.
Old 06-07-2001, 10:31 PM

To hear AUX inputs in a bounce to disk, make sure that LOW LATENCY MONITORING and QUICKPUNCH are OFF. Otherwise they will not show up in the mix.

Good luck