Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 AM

Default PT9 without hardware attached?

I received my PT9 crossgrade last night and installed it on a new win7 PC. I registered the ilok and entered in my digi003 serial #. I was able to launch PT9 but then it complained that 'no hardware was found' (my digi003r is currently in a different location at the moment).

I thought PT9 was able to launch without hardware attached as long as you had the registered ilok inserted??? It was my understanding that I can install PT9 anywhere and launch it as long as I had my ilok with me???

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM

Default Re: PT9 without hardware attached?

i'm pretty sure you have to install the ASIO4ALL driver which is a free download. a quick google search will take you right to it. (edit: here's the url http://www.asio4all.com/)
it allows PT9 to load an 'audio engine' when no hardware is attached.

good luck,
marco
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER View Post
I received my PT9 crossgrade last night and installed it on a new win7 PC. I registered the ilok and entered in my digi003 serial #. I was able to launch PT9 but then it complained that 'no hardware was found' (my digi003r is currently in a different location at the moment).

I thought PT9 was able to launch without hardware attached as long as you had the registered ilok inserted??? It was my understanding that I can install PT9 anywhere and launch it as long as I had my ilok with me???

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought PT9 HAD to have hardware to operate, but unlike PT's of the past it didn't have to be DIGI hardware???

Hope this helps,
Brad

Win 7, PT 9, 11 rack, superior drummer 2.2, Gibson guitars, yamaha bass, Dimebag washburn
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad383music View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought PT9 HAD to have hardware to operate, but unlike PT's of the past it didn't have to be DIGI hardware???
no, i run PT9 on my laptop using ASIO4ALL and the built-in sound card.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
Same here...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM

PT 9 will run with any asio interface. Including a built in sound card. But most built in sound cards do not have asio drivers, so ASIO4All is needed. I use it on 2 machines and it works fine. Obviously PT needs a sound card of some sort to operate. I think the confusion comes from the fact that most built in sound cards do not work on their own (with the standard drivers) so it's a bit misleading.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post

I stand corrected. Thank you for setting the record (and me) straight. Cheers!

Win 7, PT 9, 11 rack, superior drummer 2.2, Gibson guitars, yamaha bass, Dimebag washburn
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
PT 9 will run with any asio interface. Including a built in sound card. But most built in sound cards do not have asio drivers, so ASIO4All is needed. I use it on 2 machines and it works fine. Obviously PT needs a sound card of some sort to operate. I think the confusion comes from the fact that most built in sound cards do not work on their own (with the standard drivers) so it's a bit misleading.
true. so it surprises me that avid hasn't promoted asio4all more...just as a service to customers. i did allot of trial-and-error before figuring out that all i needed was asio4all.

i don't think it's misleading...just not obvious.

marco
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Work with an audio interface—or without.
Quote:
Get the flexibility of using Pro Tools 9 with your favorite Avid audio interface or third-party Core Audio- or ASIO-compatible interface—or use Pro Tools 9 completely standalone† for easy on-the-go creation.

Quote:
Pro Tools on Windows requires the presence of an ASIO-compatible soundcard.

All written in different sections of the product page. So it's a little misleading based on the first sentence.