Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM

Default pro tools looping wrong audio occasionally on playback?

we're in the middle of a feature mix and sometimes when i hit play, i hear a loop of audio start playing back. the looped audio appears to come from nearby, on the same track.

if i hit stop and play again, it clears it up. it's like it's buffering audio from somewhere else occasionally.

anyone seen this before? it is only happening on our dx/mx system and the only new things we are doing are running an additional third system for foley, and using RTAS Equality on the DX tracks. could this be an RTAS related issue?

Pro Tools HD 8.0.3
OS X 10.5.8
HD5 Accel
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66
D-Control in Multi-Mode
Satellite Link w/2 other systems and Satellite LE

matt
Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM

Default Re: pro tools looping wrong audio occasionally on playback?

*bump*

anyone?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:35 PM

I've had that happen every so often when I'm locking to a Sony IMX deck and hit play to soon after shuttling back to the top. I've always chalked it up to machine control getting confused by rapid-fire transport commands.

-Jim

EDIT to add: The sessions were all TDM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

This happened to me few times but can't recall if RTAS was responsible or not.

Check out WaveRider + Defaulter:
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 11-30-2010, 02:07 AM

There was alot of noise about something similar a while back:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=248209

But I seem to recall the looping happening when I pressed stop, not when I pressed start. Seems to have gone away now for me though. Don´t know why/when.

Is elastic audio enabled on the tracks where the looping occurs? Try removing it in that case.
I recently learned that EA should never be permanently enabled on a track. It is only meant for editing, and clicks may appear during playback on those tracks.
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
Waves Broadcast/Production, C4 & NPP
Izotope RX, Altiverb
Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 PM

I've seen this plenty - unfortunately there never seems to be a recipe we can nail down.

I have noticed that it's usually one track that starts looping - and sometimes it actually starts looping during play. The looping seems to happen when a region goes to silence on a track - if you keep playing it until the next region appears the looping stops.

Same other stuff - the usual thing is you hit stop, you hear looping, you play/stop and it goes away.

I've also seen another looping case where you hit play, and after a few buffers it starts looping everything - but the timeline continues chugging along as if there's nothing wrong. In this state, I have to reboot the computer to get the problem to stop happening.

Anyone?

dc
Old 05-29-2011, 10:13 PM

Hi.
I get this all the time. I use many RTAS plug ins and I think that they are the cause of the looping audio. I first noticed this a few years ago when I started using RTAS on my audio tracks instead of TDM. I also think Pro Tools exhibits this error more often when the CPU is taxed heavily. Consequently, I upgraded my computer to just about the fastest available a year ago and I see this error much less, although I still get looping audio every now and again. I might see this error couple times a week now, where it used to happen 20 times a day. Just off the cuff, it seems like Pro Tools is priming incorrect audio in it's playback buffer.
Best,
Brandon