Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Waves 8 / 9 dual monitor - what a mess!

So does anyone know if this is a PT only problem? Does it occur in Reaper, Logic Cubase etc?

Hi Tom

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I've tried eyefinity and it won't work here.
Do you mean Eyefinity won't work, or that the Waves plug-ins won't work?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I've tried eyefinity and it won't work here. We have two sets of dual monitors that are cloned, Two over the console and two (cloned) at the MIDI station. and a third monitor for floating windows to the left of the main recording console. (5 in all)

Waves is the only developer that will not run perfectly on our system.
Glad you told us this Tom was then about to buy one of them cards!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM

So I guess it's not multiple cards that cause the waves conflict, it's 3 or more monitors?

To clear this up, Tom, are you using Eyefinity with a single card? If you're using multiple cards, it may not be that Waves and Eyefinity are incompatible - it may just be that Waves (as stated) does not support multiple discrete video cards.

Because, depending on the situation, a single card feeding 3 monitors might work.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
So I guess it's not multiple cards that cause the waves conflict, it's 3 or more monitors?

To clear this up, Tom, are you using Eyefinity with a single card? If you're using multiple cards, it may not be that Waves and Eyefinity are incompatible - it may just be that Waves (as stated) does not support multiple discrete video cards.

Because, depending on the situation, a single card feeding 3 monitors might work.

I'm afraid it's the opposite...from everything I've read it's the multiple graphics cards that is the problem.

Several people have reported Waves having acknowledged a problem with multiple graphics cards.

Supposedly, multiple monitors are okay if there is only one graphics card in the system...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Supposedly, multiple monitors are okay if there is only one graphics card in the system...
See, that's what I thought. That's why I recommended a single card with Eyefinity, so you can have more than 2 monitors and not encounter the Waves bug.

But them Tom says no, Eyefinity doesn't work, he's driving 5 monitors (incl 2 clones). What I'm trying to figure out is if he is using multiple video cards. I think he might have interpreted my comments to mean I thought Eyefinity was a way to get waves working with multiple video cards. I was saying that Eyefinity is an alternative to a multi-GPU system, since it allows 3+ monitors with a single card.

Because if he is using more than one video card (which is not supported) then how can we know that Eyefinity (support status unknown) is the problem?... And that means that a single Eyefinity card, as I had recommended to Raoul, could work. I would hate to find out that my recommendation given in good faith was so far off the mark.

Just to be clear about the AMD terminology, Crossfire is linking multiple cards. Eyefinity is using 3 or more monitors, and can be done with a single card or with multiple.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 PM

While I think it would be nice to see Waves fix this in Toms case he might be able to clone the two displays using a couple of those MATROX TripleHead2Go units to mirror the displays. But he shouldn't have to.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-25-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
While I think it would be nice to see Waves fix this in Toms case he might be able to clone the two displays using a couple of those MATROX TripleHead2Go units to mirror the displays. But he shouldn't have to.
Waves should fix it, if every other plugin I have works ok why can't Waves make it work!!!!!

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Waves should fix it, if every other plugin I have works ok why can't Waves make it work!!!!!

I absolutely agree. But if the situation was ruining my accustomed workflow and I wanted and needed more monitors and Waves plugs hat's the only viable solution I can see in the meantime.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 09-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Nope. I'm running 3 monitors off of a single MATROX 9140 card, and WAVES will NOT run on this system. AS I said earlier, I'm not disabling my 3-monitor setup for one lousy plugin.