Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 PM

Default My Recording drive is freaking out!

Mac G5, PPC dual 2.8, 2 gigs ram, PT HD 7.4, OS 10.4.

Okay, there is a lot of info, so please read. I was recording a full band the other day on the internal hard drive. PT was running VERY slow and taking almost 10 seconds to start recording after I hit record. All of a sudden PT stops and says that there is not enough room on the drive and to free up some space. I then tried to delete some old stuff of the recording drive and I get this error...

"The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in the WaveCach.wfm could not be read or written." Error code -36.

After googling that error code, I didn't find a situation that was like mine. After a long work around, I was able to free up about 30 gigs, but still had the same problem. I then tried to repair disk permissions I get this error...

"Repairing disk failed with error. Could not unmount disk." "Look for links to corrupt files in 'DamagedFiles directory'". I also get..." The underlying task reported failure on exit."

I see that DamagedFiles directory in the recording drive. Should I delete it? This is so strange to me. After trashing all database folders, prefs. the whole nine yards, rebooting, etc. PT started acting more "normal", but is still extremely unresponsive when trying to record. And I still have the problem with empting the trash. If I move files to another drive, I can then delete the files from there, but not from the record drive.

So, do you all think the hard drive is toast? I can still read files and record (it's really slow). Another engineer ran Disk Warrior and it said that it didn't have enough space on the drive, but it has 30 gigs!

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Re: My Recording drive is freaking out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm-01 View Post

Okay, there is a lot of info, so please read. I was recording a full band the other day on the internal hard drive. PT was running VERY slow and taking almost 10 seconds to start recording after I hit record. All of a sudden PT stops and says that there is not enough room on the drive and to free up some space. I then tried to delete some old stuff of the recording drive and I get this error...

"The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in the WaveCach.wfm could not be read or written." Error code -36.

After googling that error code, I didn't find a situation that was like mine. After a long work around, I was able to free up about 30 gigs, but still had the same problem. I then tried to repair disk permissions I get this error...

"Repairing disk failed with error. Could not unmount disk." "Look for links to corrupt files in 'DamagedFiles directory'". I also get..." The underlying task reported failure on exit."

I see that DamagedFiles directory in the recording drive. Should I delete it? This is so strange to me. After trashing all database folders, prefs. the whole nine yards, rebooting, etc. PT started acting more "normal", but is still extremely unresponsive when trying to record. And I still have the problem with empting the trash. If I move files to another drive, I can then delete the files from there, but not from the record drive.

So, do you all think the hard drive is toast? I can still read files and record (it's really slow). Another engineer ran Disk Warrior and it said that it didn't have enough space on the drive, but it has 30 gigs!

Do you have another record drive that is working properly? If that is the case you better start backing up the problem drive....quickly!! SB
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM

also, just to be clear, when you say "internal drive" you're not using your main boot up drive are you?
b.o.l.
e
Old 06-25-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:

!
30 gigs is tight, especially if you are recording a band. have you set a limit to the disk allocation in the prefs? if you haven't then PT will be getting messages back from the drive saying its getting too full and there's not enough space.

Time to retire the drive and buy a new 500gig drive just for your audio.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:

Did you have pro tools still running?

Sounds like you should reformat the drive, however is not worth trusting it and is definitely a better option to replace it.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
30 gigs is tight, especially if you are recording a band. have you set a limit to the disk allocation in the prefs? if you haven't then PT will be getting messages back from the drive saying its getting too full and there's not enough space.

Time to retire the drive and buy a new 500gig drive just for your audio.

Chris

Thank you all for the responses! Yes, I had PT set to use all available space. I'll change that. Yes, the audio drive is separate and only used for recording and fortunately, I back up everything to an external drive the moment I move onto the next song.

Question:

The recording drive that I am using is a Western Digital, which I've heard sucks for recording. What drives do you all recommend for a solid internal recording drive? Lacie, Porsche?

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM

The recording drive that I am using is a Western Digital, which I've heard sucks for recording. What drives do you all recommend for a solid internal recording drive? Lacie, Porsche?

Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Get Seagates. The barracuda is a good drive and you can get them cheap. LaCie makes them in external cases and they have been very reliable for me. Like Chris says, 30 gigs is not enough for doing larger sessions and it it fill quickly. Even when you have about ten gigs left, you can start running into problems. I have not read the other posts, but make sure that you have your permissions set right and that your preferences have been cleaned up. Use the application that is listed in the top part of the user conference block where digi puts a lot of posts. It's the first section.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM

why bother with an internal drive? the hassle to replace or change drives sucks. just go with external firewire for work and external usb2 for backup. OWC drives are great. not a single problem since i've been using them the last 2 years. dead quiet too.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM

-36 is an I/O error, it's bad sector. Change the hard drive.

JC
Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM

Okay, so it just gets worse. So I bought a SATA Seagate Barracuda drive recommended by Digi. Installed it with partition 1, mac extended journalded. The mac recognized the drive. I started copying stuff over from my backups drive and I get the same error:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 'file name.wav' could not be read or written." Error code -36.

Ahhh! This is so frustrating! I was told in a previous post that a -36 error was bad sectors and to replace the drive. Any thoughts on why the new drive is having the same error messages?

Thank you.