Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Digi 003 as sound card stopped working (Win 7)

Using Digi003 as sound card - HELP!

I have PT 10 and a Digi 003 console using Windows 7. I used to be able to play music outside of ProTools and hear it through the 003, but it stopped working.

I have the S/PDIF (lightpipe) connected from computer to the 003, and I have it selected as the sound card in windows. I believe that used to work, but not now.

Do I have to set something in the I/O preferences? Or is there another way to do it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Digi 003 as sound card stopped working (Win 7)

Make sure the 003 is not set as default for windows and that the internal soundcard is set as default for Windows sounds.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-19-2017, 04:48 PM

Sorry to ask a silly question - but that is the answer to getting the 003 to work as my sound card? - it is just counter intuitive, as if you think I asked why my computer sound card stopped working.

If we are indeed on the same page then thank you!!! It just doesn't seem logical - I will still try it though.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:07 PM

I am trying to get the 003 to play my windows sounds when I am not using Protools (or even when I am using Protools) - that is not working.

I selected Windows S/pdif out selected on my sound card, and I have that plugged into the SPdif optical on the 003 - but it is not playing.

I have also tried selecting SPdif 003 as my sound player, also not working. I would swear this used to work.

I am think it is something in my I/O preferences in ProTools 10. I tried selecting an aux channel as spdif in - still no joy.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Weird if it used to work ...

Someone who knows 003's will chime in eventually as we never used Windows or any Avid non HD interfaces so i can't help you there as it is probably a Windows setting somewhere.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM

I think your method is the flaw. To use the 003 as the default Windows playback device(NOT recommended), you would set Windows to the 003, not SPDIF out of the sound card. Having said that, I WOULD set Windows to use the soundcard analog out(green mini TRS)and patch that with the proper cable to the AUX inputs of the 003(Aux or Alt, whichever is there as its been a while). Hit the Aux to Mon button to hear audio outside of Pro Tools. This avoids any hardware conflict(Windows AND Pro Tools both trying to use the 003). This method works and only costs the price of the cable, but may not sound great(which may not be an issue for listening to youtube and such). To get great sound, my preferred method is to add a monitor/source selector that can handle both analog(or SPDIF) from the 003, AND the SPDIF of the computer's sound card. The Presonus Central Station covers this and I find Windows audio quality is just as good as the sound from Pro tools from my current HD/Native setup, or my previous 003

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave