How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Interface advice for Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
this x1billion. PCIe RayDAT is an absolute diamond of an interface. And with PCIe staying in the new mac pro, it should hold it's value and continue to be updated driver-wise for a long time.

I used an RME Raydat before I went HD. Was rock solid.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:14 PM

Anyone using DANTE via ethernet cable for Native?

I know it's limited to 32 tracks simultaneously but if one is in the box & only needs 2 to mix it's irrelevant.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Anyone using DANTE via ethernet cable for Native?

I know it's limited to 32 tracks simultaneously but if one is in the box & only needs 2 to mix it's irrelevant.
You would still need to free up a PCIe slot for a Dante PCIe card. And buy a Dante interface to get the analog I/O. Not the most cost effective way to go if you ask me.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
You would still need to free up a PCIe slot for a Dante PCIe card. And buy a Dante interface to get the analog I/O. Not the most cost effective way to go if you ask me.
Maybe the "via Ethernet Cable" meant using Dante Virtual Sound Card, i.e. without a Dante Card in the Mac. But then all Dante uses Ethernet Cables... So who knows, other users cannot provide clear help here if the questions are not clear.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Why would I need hardware PCIe card for Dante? Isn't it a virtual (software) ""sound card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Maybe the "via Ethernet Cable" meant using Dante Virtual Sound Card, i.e. without a Dante Card in the Mac. But then all Dante uses Ethernet Cables... So who knows, other users cannot provide clear help here if the questions are not clear.

Correct, that's what was meant.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Why would I need hardware PCIe card for Dante? Isn't it a virtual (software) ""sound card?

Correct, that's what was meant.
Dante doesn't run at full speed with a built-in Ethernet connection. Apparently they use some kind of additions to regular Ethernet networking h/w & s/w that don't run at full capable speed on garden variety Ethernet.

QAPLA!
Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Dante doesn't run at full speed with a built-in Ethernet connection. Apparently they use some kind of additions to regular Ethernet networking h/w & s/w that don't run at full capable speed on garden variety Ethernet.

What do mean?
That it "doesn't run at full speed", "that don't run at full capable speed" & therefore is not reliable or has latency?

Then why would all these companies go full-in on Dante?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
What do mean?
That it "doesn't run at full speed", "that don't run at full capable speed" & therefore is not reliable or has latency?

Then why would all these companies go full-in on Dante?
Never said anything about reliability or latency. To get the full benefit of what Dante can do you need their specific Ethernet interface card. A generic Ethernet will do but there are limits. Using regular built-in Ethernet doesn't amongst other things, give one the full interface networking capability. You really need to read up on this.

QAPLA!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
...To get the full benefit of what Dante can do you need their specific Ethernet interface card. A generic Ethernet will do but there are limits. Using regular built-in Ethernet doesn't amongst other things, give one the full interface networking capability...

Isn't the Dante Virtual Soundcard software based & not a physical "internet card" per se ... and that it runs (talks to) interface via ethernet (Cat 5 or 6) cable?
Old 12-08-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Isn't the Dante Virtual Soundcard software based & not a physical "internet card" per se ... and that it runs (talks to) interface via ethernet (Cat 5 or 6) cable?
The DVS will run over regular ethernet but as I'm saying you don't get the full benefits of the Dante system running that way. You need their special interface card. That's what you're missing.

An ethernet card is NOT an internet card as such - it's just a general network connection card & protocol.

QAPLA!