Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Re: MIDI Editing PT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank1000 View Post
Does the bug you logged include the tracks defaulting to region view as well?
IMO Crank this is an arrangement implementation that you should adhere too. Zoom Toggle does follow Insertion and the Zoom Toggle display and operation preferences can be found in the Editing Preferences Tab. This workflow works great for Audio and MIDI combined.

filosofem
Old 05-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Avid

Quote:
Oh, I see, so you're saying you agree that current implementation is incorrect. Glad we finally agree on something!

Does the bug you logged include the tracks defaulting to region view as well? As that is quite bothersome as well.
No, it won't, as the region view default is considered the correct behavior, as it speeds up editing with the new MIDI Editor Window.

I've asked for a preference for that, but can't say for certain that it will get implemented. In your case, you'll just have to get used to using the key command to switch views.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
IMO Crank this is an arrangement implementation that you should adhere too. Zoom Toggle does follow Insertion and the Zoom Toggle display and operation preferences can be found in the Editing Preferences Tab. This workflow works great for Audio and MIDI combined.

filosofem
I understand what you're saying, my main issue is that I'm not a computer, so when I lay down a keyboard track, I will most likely want to edit it in note view before I start grabbing big chunks of notes and copying/arranging them. I can't speak for others, but I suspect most of us would rather get a take edited correctly and then copy it. Otherwise you're making copies of bad takes and then have a lot more work to back track. You wouldn't print 1000 copies of a flier and THEN go back and fix all the mistakes, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
No, it won't, as the region view default is considered the correct behavior, as it speeds up editing with the new MIDI Editor Window.

I've asked for a preference for that, but can't say for certain that it will get implemented. In your case, you'll just have to get used to using the key command to switch views.
I think a preference checkbox is necessary, and if it was implemented, that would be fantastic. As I mentioned in this same response, I like to fix mistakes BEFORE making copies of that mistake, and sometimes, it's just quicker to fix the mistake in the Edit Window. Just seems like whenever basic functionality is changed, it should be made a preference.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not a computer
Legacy support would have been discontinued.

Bye.

filosofem
Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Legacy support would have been discontinued.

Bye.

filosofem
lol, good one.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, my main issue is that I'm not a computer, so when I lay down a keyboard track, I will most likely want to edit it in note view before I start grabbing big chunks of notes and copying/arranging them. I can't speak for others, but I suspect most of us would rather get a take edited correctly and then copy it. Otherwise you're making copies of bad takes and then have a lot more work to back track. You wouldn't print 1000 copies of a flier and THEN go back and fix all the mistakes, right?

I think a preference checkbox is necessary, and if it was implemented, that would be fantastic. As I mentioned in this same response, I like to fix mistakes BEFORE making copies of that mistake, and sometimes, it's just quicker to fix the mistake in the Edit Window. Just seems like whenever basic functionality is changed, it should be made a preference.
I don't know if this is still under discussion. I recently upgraded to PT8 and this defaulting to region view, along with other changes to midi in the main edit window, has completely wrecked my workflow. I am desperate. I would downgrade in a heartbeat back to 7.4 but I am using some of the new AIR plugins all over the place. Please please please can we have a preference to default to Notes view. And please bring back the selector in the smart tool in Note view without having to use a modifier. And please stop this ridiculous Double-click Erases Note action. I have no problem with the new midi edit window, but please put the main one back.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Track Music View Post
Please please please can we have a preference to default to Notes view.
Please do not listen to this man! :P

Seriously, you're one click away from notes view...
Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

I am with Crank & others here. In all the last 5 or so years of PT updates, the Smart Tool work flow remained the same. My reflexes have memorized them & I have become fast and happy. Why on earth decide to break this with PT8? It feels like someone just swapped the break & accelerator pedals on my car. I have spoken to other PT midi users and they feel the same way. Everybody is using workarounds, which certainly exist, but that is not the point. I spend my days cursing PT as it no longer does what it is supposed to do.

Can someone explain to me how defaulting to midi regions accelerates the workflow for writers? And how does removing the smart selector tool in Notes view improve our work? Again, I have NO problem with the new Midi Edit window but why the hell break the main edit window?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM

Hi,

Sorry but Im still trying to work out if this a new feature or a bug re the smart tool not working in notes/veocity view?

If I knew this was an issue or a new feature I would'nt have upgraded.

dean.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM

I use midi and audio correction on my g5 pt 8le system..no problems with either...running version 8.0..osx 10.5.8....and i love the editing features..the midi editor..way better then logic pro 9...my work flow is so much easier..as per ur problem..i would say u aint doing something right...i would invest in a pro tools 8 reference manual for 40 dollars that is one of the first things i bought which has also helped me when in doubt.