Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM

Default Control 24 w/ USB->Ethernet adapter?

Anyone have experience with this? I have a situation where I am running ProTools and use 1 nic for production network, one nic for XSAN Metadata (No not for use with PT, just for storage), and need a 3rd nic for the Control 24. I have a P7R4 Expansion chassis that has been modded with Magma parts to PCI, and got a PCIe->PCI host adapter. We have some Apple PCIx ethernet cards, and also some other random PCI ethernet cards, but they do not work for some reason.

Here's my Config.

Mac Pro Nehalem 2x2.26 Quad core 16G RAM. Magma P7R4 expansion modded with P7NE board set. PTHD2 Accel.

Everything runs very smooth, just want to get this nic situation figured out.

Thanks,

Todd A.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Control 24 w/ USB->Ethernet adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chinese View Post
Anyone have experience with this? I have a situation where I am running ProTools and use 1 nic for production network, one nic for XSAN Metadata (No not for use with PT, just for storage), and need a 3rd nic for the Control 24. I have a P7R4 Expansion chassis that has been modded with Magma parts to PCI, and got a PCIe->PCI host adapter. We have some Apple PCIx ethernet cards, and also some other random PCI ethernet cards, but they do not work for some reason.

Here's my Config.

Mac Pro Nehalem 2x2.26 Quad core 16G RAM. Magma P7R4 expansion modded with P7NE board set. PTHD2 Accel.

Everything runs very smooth, just want to get this nic situation figured out.

Thanks,

Todd A.
I have run my control 24 on a shared network, using an ethernet expander/hub but it did slow the response of the control 24.

I guess if the usb adapter is seen by the mac as an ethernet port then it should be accessible from the peripherals menu.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 AM

I tried it but was not able to get it to work

But I put minimal effort into it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Get a good ethernet switch (OSI layer 2) instead of hub (layer 1) and you should get less lag.

The switch will analyze frames coming in on its entry ports and filters the data in order to focus solely on the right ports. So effectively it redirects data flow to the most suitable machines, based on certain elements found in the data packets. In other words, it inspects the source and destination addresses of the messages, and creates a table that lets it find out which machine is connected to which port on the switch. Once it knows the destination port, the switch only sends the message to the right port, and the other ports are then free for other transmissions which may be taking place at the same time.

Come to think of it, this kind of switch might already be operating on layer 4 of the OSI model. But anyway, that's the principle. Never use hubs, nowadays proper switches are not that much more expensive.