Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Default QT Movie Audio Import

Hello Folks,

I am using PTLE 7.1cs9 without the kit on a G5 with a 002r. Since I can no longer get SparkXL to run on this machine, I setup a session to use PTLE to cleanup and gain ride the audio on a client vid (1.25hrs) that is going to DVD. So I tell PTLE to do 24/48 and import the vid. Then when I try to import audio from movie it will only shows that it will save the audio as 16bit even though the audio is 24bit. I HAVE verified, the audio is 24bit.

Anybody know if this is a bug? Doesn't stike me as a feature. Lots of folks working in 24bit these days.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: QT Movie Audio Import

Hi Robob

When you say it says it will save at 16 bit - do you mean the info that comes up in the 'select tracks to import' window?

If so - this is telling you what the format of the audio embedded with the quicktime is - when you do the import it will get converted to 24 bit.

Jon
Old 09-13-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Hi Robob

When you say it says it will save at 16 bit - do you mean the info that comes up in the 'select tracks to import' window?

If so - this is telling you what the format of the audio embedded with the quicktime is - when you do the import it will get converted to 24 bit.

Jon
Nope, It comes up with a save box that shows a 16bit file, not the normal import box. I suspect it wants to save converted audio. I have verified in QT that the the mov's audio is 24bit and Final Cut says it is 24bit.

I would do a screeen capture but now my 002R is dead. Will call Digi tomorrow about that. Will plugin the Mbox if necessary.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM

I am having this exact same issue. I have a QT file that I just generated from Final Cut, and both FC and QT report the audio is 24bit. I know that the audio was caputured off tape as 24bit.

However, when I try to import the video, enabeling "Import Audio From File", the "Track Import Window" shows that all embedded audio tracks as 16bit.

Alternately, if I got to the Import Audio window and select the QT file, it also tells me the audio is 16bit.

So, it would seem that PT is having a problem recognizing the embedded audio as 24bit.

Anyone know about this and what it might be.

FYI - I have current QT installed and have installed the ProRes codec, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robob View Post
Hello Folks,

... Since I can no longer get SparkXL to run on this machine, ...
Thanks,
Robert A. Ober
FYI you can cross-grade to DSP Quatro. It's the same developer and started as the same app. He at least was offering a very good price to up grade.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodomer View Post
I am having this exact same issue. I have a QT file that I just generated from Final Cut, and both FC and QT report the audio is 24bit. I know that the audio was caputured off tape as 24bit.

However, when I try to import the video, enabeling "Import Audio From File", the "Track Import Window" shows that all embedded audio tracks as 16bit.

Alternately, if I got to the Import Audio window and select the QT file, it also tells me the audio is 16bit.

So, it would seem that PT is having a problem recognizing the embedded audio as 24bit.

Anyone know about this and what it might be.

FYI - I have current QT installed and have installed the ProRes codec, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,
Matt
Could you possibly post an example audio file for us to download and take a look at?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 AM

HI All -

I can confirm this issue on our end. We've seen he same phenomena. Digi- I can't post a file to you without permission from our clients, but I will ask.

This seems to affect ProRes Files. We are also seeing issues where Audio imported from ProRes Files imports incorrectly, either stretching or compacting in very strange manner.

I am attempting to replicate this now.

Todd A.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Avid

Getting our hands on one of these files would be the easiest way of finding out what the problem is.

Or if you can tell me how you're exporting and from which application, I can try to duplicate it here.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM

HI Narrowed it down to QT.

Final Cut is Capturing a HDSR, then outputting a ProRes 422HQ.

However, from what I've discovered, other videos that are output from that file with different codecs have the same issues. I'm collecting more info. I can't seem to replicate it myself, but I am looking at several files, replicated elsewhere in our facility, that are exhibiting the issue.

However, when I look at the video/Audio in FCPro, the sequence sets up at 16bit, even thoguh QT is reporting the audio at 24bit. PT does the same thing. Is it possible that the QT header has BIt depth info, that FC and PT are ignoring and looking elsewhere, perhaps the audio file itself?

Todd