Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-24-2003, 10:53 AM

Default Antares Tube...

Anybody demo the new Antares Tube modeler yet?

http://www.antarestech.com/products/tube.html

If so, what do you think?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Antares Tube...

Hi dcarlson247...
First, thanks for posting the site...somebody had mentioned this in another thread, and I'm gonna check it out when I get a minute.
I will probably try it on elec. guitar myself, but I'm curious, what would you personally likely use this for?

thanks, Roy
Old 01-24-2003, 11:17 AM

It's a nice pluggin. I like how it just seems to smooth everything out. I really liked it on bass, but I would use it on all sorts of stuff, even piano. The only real problem is that if you are just trying to fatten or smooth out a sound without getting into the tube distortion, it's really hard. It takes low levels to not get the distortion and it will put out even lower levels to your mix. It is hard to mix with the lower levels. There just isn't anyway that you can put a full mix threw at a decent level without running into distortion. I loved the pluggin, but I liked it mainly for just adding a little warmth to the sound and not the distortion. The Distortion is totally usable on guitar, but not much else unless it is used as a bass or vocal effect. Overall it's a great effect, love the pluggin but I hate the levels it requires to use it the way I want to use it.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:17 AM

Hi Roy - I look forward to trying it on electric guitar for an overdrive sound. I've already downloaded the demo. I'll be trying that this weekend. I'm already getting good warm sounds on vocals, acoustic guitar and other basic stuff with my BF and Waves plug-ins.

I'll be checking back here to see if someone finds something about it that thrills them then I'll try that.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 01:42 PM

dcarlson...
Cool... I'm gonna scan what Calvin said just before I try it myself later, and I'll post back it there's anything worth adding... -Roy
Old 01-27-2003, 11:00 AM

I checked it out on bass, vox and guitar. I would have to say that I am not impressed. The sound seems kinda thin to me. Well, thinner than I thought it should.

Like it was mentioned, there is a very small sweet spot before it overloads and the resulting sound turns to garbage.

Not worth the $$$ IMHO.

Eric
Old 01-27-2003, 11:11 AM

I think that I am leaning toward agreeing with Ecal... I got 5 days left on my demo and I'll keep fooling around with it but it hasn't been very impressive yet.

I will keep an open mind to any suggested ways to try it.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:28 AM

I just grabbed it finally. I'm going to try it with some straight guitar (elec.) first. I also grabbed the kantos, and have no idea what to expect from it, if anything. But, I'll post back later... (thanks again [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). ~Roy
Old 01-27-2003, 09:15 PM

dcarlson247,
I tried the Antares tube today with my Strat, and it did nothing for me. So I have to agree with you and ecal... To be honest, that's the sound I try to get away from whenever I hear it... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Now, someone else may be able to get a great sound from it, but it's not for me.

But thanks, and I'm still gonna check out this kantos thing I grabbed. ~Roy
Old 01-28-2003, 02:22 AM

I agree, this plugin is whatever! Totally unempressed. The coolest thing about the plugin is the interface. I wish they made a Steinberg Megneto RTAS plugin. Now that is a great plugin!!!
Jayman #9