Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2002, 11:06 PM

Default What\'s a good and inexpensive vocal processor for live shows?

I need something to compliment death, scream vocals.

what can I get, that I would be able to control it onstage (with ease) ? Switch from distortion, to lofi telephone effect?
Old 05-21-2002, 11:42 PM

Default Re: What\'s a good and inexpensive vocal processor for live shows?

cheap megaphone [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 05-21-2002, 11:48 PM

Your right hand rolled around the ball of the mic. Good, and damn inexpensive!

By controlling the opening of the hand, the proximity of your mouth and the loudness of your scream you can go from mild to total distortion.

6am eternal
Old 05-22-2002, 01:07 AM

that's cool, I use both of these methods!!
I think I want more than that.
seen some vocal processors in emusician like the Antaras? (around $450) and the Digitech vocal300? ( around $200)
is the cheaper option any good? bands seem to metion these two alot in my studio.
I think I want the vocal300 they say it has the perfect effects for the distortion vibes of my music.
or do you know of any other good ones? any links? thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2002, 06:56 AM

You could be a real trail blazer, and send your mike signal through some guitar effects unit. The kind that have preset buttons and a volume/wah pedal. digitech,korg,roland?

just think a distorted/delayed/wah/vocal

You would be the envy of the neiborhood.

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 05-22-2002, 08:16 AM

Quote:
You would be the envy of the neiborhood and send your mike signal through some guitar effects unit.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, if everybody in the neighborhood wasn't already doing that.

I've been to lots of shows where the singer runs their mic through guitar stomp boxes (distortion mostly, but also delay, flange etc.). Problem is, that since the mixing console is on the other side of the room, the stomp boxes are coming before the mic pre, and therefore seriously degrading the sound quality. So even when the fx are off, the vocal mic sounds thin and muffled because the impedance was changed w/o any gain being applied.

If anyone knows of any solutions with an onboard pre, I'd love to hear it (er.. hear OF it) - i'm looking for something similar, although not necessarily for screaming.

-Slim
Old 05-22-2002, 08:58 AM

so live, I would just plug in my mic. into the killer guitar effects unit, (or the digitech vocal300, btw does anyone know if it rocks?) then run the unit to the clubs main mixing board?. (is that how the clubs stage hand guys do it?)
I'm new to the live shows and stage setup. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2002, 10:21 AM

In my experience getting a nasty distorted sound out of a club PA is no problem. Now getting a clean sound...that's a problem.

The only way that I am aware of get decent vocal effects onstage is to patch them in through aux send/returns at the console. You can get away with a pretty basic fx unit (finally a use for that old Midiverb!) because of the very limited bandwidth of most house PAs. The hardest part of this set up is getting a decent sound guy who knows your material to punch in fx at the appropriate time.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:25 AM

the real trick is to split the signal before the pa,
then the front of house guy will have a clean vox and a efx channel.

I have seen it done,
transformer split onstage proco thingy about the size of a di box, one side directly into snake,
other side into tc guitar proccesser, output set to efx only, sent into a di box onstage and another chanel in the snake.

the singer had a midi foot pedal set up with several efx.

the FOH guy wouldnt really have to ride it much, He had the dry signal thru a compressor, and let the singer kick his sh*t in when he wanted it, that efx channel was at the same level as the dry chanel. it sounded good, the dry sig was still there enough to get some extra clarity in the shout vox.

hope it helps.

theo