Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Mini Grand Mixing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Here's another vote for Addictive Keys, if you don't like the piano sounds you currently work with...
+1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-27-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Yea sure I always tweak them the way I want .... the Dance is actually very bright ... I was looking for something more like the Steinway Grand ... Alicia Keys Pianos ... besides those tweaks ... are there any standard EQ and Compressor you guys use on this plugin ??
What you're looking for if the two references you cite are it then you're looking at two very different pianos. Alicia Keys Piano (NI is the only one I know of that has that specific instrument) like all Yamaha pianos are very bright instruments. Steinways tend to be not so bright and more full-bodied. I've played both real pianos and the Yamaha is too brittle for my taste but that cutting sound is why a lot of rock performers use them - it cuts right through the densest of mixes.

Like other things you've asked about there are no standard eq's used. Compressors aren't usually used with piano recordings and won't really help with the sound you're looking for. That being said if I use any eq on a piano it's the Passive eq from NI - it's one of those Softube did that is a Manley emulation. Specifically it's a Manley Massive Passive eq emulation. Careful tweaking should get you where you want to go but the soul of this is you have to find what works for you and the library you are using. And ALWAYS keep in mind to eq in the context of the mix the piano will end up in as a solo'd instrument might sound great but in the mix sounds like crud. Or vice versa - a solo'd instrument is the pits but could be just what the mix needs when played with the rest of the tracks.

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:23 PM

ok so let me get things straight .... you said that the Alicia Keys piano might be the one I am looking for since it is the one mostly used in a lot of rock songs ??

then, as you said, you wouldn't rather use an EQ for any piano playing solo but rather when it's in a whole mix .... fine ... but then this mini grand is a steinway which is really dark ?? this is it ?
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 PM

NI is not the only one to have a Steinway grand. East west Piano has a very good Steinway Grand, but if you really want to be able to control every single thing up to the fet sound, I suggest you try Galaxy's Vintage-D It's 159 so not that very expensive compared to east West Pianos (full version) but darn is it a powerful and beautifully sounding piano, it even has sustenuto pedaling which I've found that no one else has. I only use Grand piano for quick run down of ideas when I need something to load instantly. Then I switch the sound.

http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/vintage-d.html

Wave-T.com
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 AM

isn't the mini grand good enough ?
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e

Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 AM

As a 27 years and counting pianist myself, no I don't find it good enough. It lacks enormously in the sympathetic harmonics that you get when playing with the sustain pedal. And it just sounds thin compared to the pianos I've mentioned, not withstanding playing on real pianos which I do often, but not as often as I would like on grand pianos

But then again, I'll give you this, it might be enough depending if you're doing pop music, or electro/dance music where the sound of the piano is not as important as in jazz/classical.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 AM

so then you recommend ??

Synthogy Ivory Grand ?
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1

Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 AM

I haven't tested synthogy enough, but Ithink all of these products have trials so I would try them all and see which one you prefer.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
ok so let me get things straight .... you said that the Alicia Keys piano might be the one I am looking for since it is the one mostly used in a lot of rock songs ??

then, as you said, you wouldn't rather use an EQ for any piano playing solo but rather when it's in a whole mix .... fine ... but then this mini grand is a steinway which is really dark ?? this is it ?
Once again you're misunderstanding things. Never said Alicia's Keys was the one you want or should use. As to eq what I said was that soloing not just piano but any track in a mix and eq'ing based on that won't necessarily work in a mix. Doesn't matter if it's a Steinway, Yamaha, whatever. You could eq a Yamaha to sound close to a Steinway or the other way around but to a real piano player it will never sound right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
NI is not the only one to have a Steinway grand. East west Piano has a very good Steinway Grand, but if you really want to be able to control every single thing up to the fet sound, I suggest you try Galaxy's Vintage-D It's 159 so not that very expensive compared to east West Pianos (full version) but darn is it a powerful and beautifully sounding piano, it even has sustenuto pedaling which I've found that no one else has. I only use Grand piano for quick run down of ideas when I need something to load instantly. Then I switch the sound.

http://www.galaxy-instruments.com/vintage-d.html
Quote:
isn't the mini grand good enough ?
No; it's only good for sketching things out. Get one of those Manny talks about. EW has a piano collection that has a Steinway D, Yamaha C7, Bechstein D-280 and a Bosendorfer 290. Platinum is $375 US and Gold is $260 US. Not cheap but definitely a good library that covers a bunch of bases. Play engine library that won't work in Kontakt.

Galaxy is one of those that did the Giant Piano for NI which is a cool instrument.

QAPLA!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 AM

Ivory does it for me hands down. playing the piano for 30 plus years, it fit my needs jazz,solo, what ever. Depending on your mix or how dense the material you will still have to eq and fit to taste.