Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2000, 01:13 PM

Default MIDI irregularities

I'm finding that ProTools (5.0.1) is far from precise in its MIDI playback. I have been laying down simple drum patterns and when I play the audio back (especially when I bounce the audio to disk) the rhythm is irregular and glitchy. This is especially bad when bouncing to disk from Unity DS1 w/DirectConnect. I have seen a post about latency with DirectConnect, and I concur, but more than just latency, it is irregular in the degree of latency, and that's with external MIDI tone generators too. I have a beige 333mhz G3 with OS 8.5, 256 meg of RAM, a MOTU MIDIExpress interface - all relatively high-end.

This is pretty freaking frustrating, as I am now resorting to bouncing only tiny (one or two measure) segments to disk, and then I have to manually edit the audio tracks to line the attacks up to the grid markers and to the other tracks. This is extremely time consuming. And as I said, it's not like I can just shift the track over to adjust for latency, I have to adjust each attack differently because they're all that irregular. And I'm not being super-fussy here, these things are very audibly wrong-sounding.

I've noticed these irregularities since 4.3.1, but with DirectConnect's latency, it's gotten even worse. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there anything I can do about it? Are there any plans to fix it? Is it even acknowledged as a bug?

Thanks

------------------
---
James
[email protected]
Old 07-07-2000, 01:24 PM

Default Re: MIDI irregularities

Oh yea, regarding my system setup: I forgot to mention the ProTools hardware - Mix Plus (2 cards).

------------------
---
James
[email protected]
Old 07-07-2000, 04:18 PM

Default Re: MIDI irregularities

I have been working with the 001 for PC, and
noticed the same glitchiness introduced when
nudging midi tracks, and I was also
unimpressed. I had assumed the midi of PT
would be as solid as the audio, but it just
isn't.
Since I work pretty much exclusively with
midi, I'm not sure how I will write now but
I'm considering using only midi when there is
no other solution and recording the audio
from the midi to do editing, which means, no
midi editing at all.
I am heartened (unfortunately) to see it's
also a problem with the MAC if only because
it means Digidesign will work harder for a more solid fully-implemented MIDI for PT.