Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Waves added Q-Clone to the Diamond Bundle!

Waves has just added Q-Clone to the Diamond Bundle, I'm actually happy to be WUPped.

If they would add the SSL bundle, and throw us a nice bone like this every year, I would be damn near excited to pay for WUP.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Waves added Q-Clone to the Diamond Bundle!

I've been looking at Q-clone but can't seem to understand its scope. Do I just get a snapshot of my Neve EQ at a particular setting or do i capture the entire unit and then adjust the EQ accordingly.

Also, do the presets do the job or are they just snapshots too? I can't even seem to find whats been cloned as included presets.

Anyone got some experience with this plug? TIA
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-20-2006, 03:45 PM

>Waves has just added Q-Clone to the Diamond Bundle<

Great, I don't have the Diamond Bundle.

>Do I just get a snapshot of my Neve EQ at a particular setting or do i capture the entire unit and then adjust the EQ accordingly<

Q-clone has two elements to it. Q-Capture and Q-Clone. You use Q-Capture to send and receive a signal through the EQ you want to measure. You then open Q-Clone on a track and adjust the EQ to how you want it, then "capture" the setting. You repeat this process for more settings or other EQs. You can build your own library of settings this way. Q-Clone also comes with various presets from many popular EQs. It works well, but just keep in mind that Q-Clone only captures frequency and phase response. It can't capture non-linear characteristics like distortion.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:12 PM

Thx Filmixer
Do the presets just say Neve or are they adjusted for particular instruments?
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
[…] throw us a nice bone like this every year, I would be damn near excited to pay for WUP.
As evolution, life experiences, companions (and, of course, Martha) teach us… bones are a good thing. This, in stark contrast to trinkets (i.e. any plug featuring the letter “L” as a prefix and/or suffix).

I nod in approval (*). Clapping, on the other hand, remains a long way away.

---

(*) As it turns out, I don’t nod in approval, after all. See below.

---

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 02-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
It works well, but just keep in mind that Q-Clone only captures frequency and phase response. It can't capture non-linear characteristics like distortion.
For me, Q-Clone is a plug-in in the interesting-idea-but-who-needs-it category. I could see putting up with the hassle if it truly captured everything about an outboard EQ that gave the outboard unit its distinct sound. Since it doesn't, Q-Clone doesn't seem like it would be worth the bother. I'd rather have full tweaking and automation ability in a more conventional EQ plug-in. I wonder if anyone out there uses Q-Clone regularly.

Still, I agree that it's nice that Waves is including the full version of this, rather than a cut-down "L" version that would be more of a glorified demo designed to entice a person into spending extra to get the real version.

I know it's just a matter of time before I'm forced to re-WUP my Diamond Bundle. Sooner or later, maybe Waves will add something that I'd actually use.

Lee Blaske
Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 AM

Quote:
I know it's just a matter of time before I'm forced to re-WUP my Diamond Bundle. Sooner or later, maybe Waves will add something that I'd actually use.

Q-Clone hasn't really set the world alight has it? Does anybody REALLY have the time (or inclination) to go sample their hardware EQ's. I'd rather just USE a real 1073 on the vocals, and good plugins on everything else and be done with it.
Maybe I'm just lazy..... but I'd rather have something simple that just works.....
I guess the slow take up of this is probably why it's now being given away.....
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-21-2006, 08:15 AM

I would not shell out money for it on its own but I'm glad to see it in the Diamond bundle. I don't think I'll use it too often but it will make recalls faster.....
Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 AM

Well I doubt most people have time, but perhaps others out there will, and you'll be to share your user prefs. So a single person can sample a really nice EQ, and build a profile for it, and share it.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:53 AM

and Q-Clone v5.2 is still HTDM (and RTAS).
Ouch.