How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM

Default best way to exchange audio files with another person/session

Hi,
I've been helping a friend record songs by recording organ tracks for his Pro Tools sessions. Our process has been some variation of this...
1. He bounces his session to a file
2. He sends it to me via Dropbox or some Mega thing which does NOT handle folders.
3. I add his file to a session in my Pro Tools
4. I record one or more organ tracks (multiple takes)
5. At first I was then bouncing my organ tracks to individual files. It took a long time -- have to wait for the entire length of the session in real time -- and multiple passes.
5 (Alt). Then I started just sending him the audio files. Much faster, and they sounded better to me. Louder anyway.
6. And of course, he then added my files to his session. We have to be careful to keep different tracks in alignment.

Now I've run into songs where I really want to do loop recording. A tricky part was too hard to handle blasting through it once per song. The audio files you get from loop recording though are different. One file contains all the loops, strung out one after another. Is there some way he can import a loop audio file into his session and have it loop? I could bounce each organ loop track to disk, but I sure don't want to.

I'd like to somehow get -- while recording or after -- separate audio files that I could send him for each loop. the audio files wouldn't start at the begiinning of the track, but I could tell him with Minutes/seconds where they belong.

If not, does anyone have suggestions as to how to handle these looped takes? Any suggestions regarding our process would be appreciated, too. By the way, I think he always has the tracks starting at the beginning of his sessions, so even if all he sent me was the pertinent audio files along with his session file, I think I could open his session even though he might have plugins and other things I don't have, I'd still get mixable tracks, right?

My Pro Tools Preferences are set to create a new playlist on each pass of loop recording.

Thanks in advance for any help.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
iMac, Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM
OS X 10.6.8
Mbox Pro, FW800-FW400 adapter cable connection
Pro Tools 10; Upgraded to 10.3.2 April 15, 2013
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Re: best way to exchange audio files with another person/session

Audio files recorded in Pro Tools are time stamped. As long as you guys were working independently from the same original session file, all the other has to do is spot the new file to the time stamp. Then, if it's a file that needs to be looped, all you would have to do is repeat it x times.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM

Try Gobbler to move/update whole sessions, and it's built in to PT10.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Can you explain what gobbler is and how it works? This might have come in handy on some recent work we did that took a lot of time (in real time).

Thanks

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_pianoman View Post
Hi,
2. He sends it to me via Dropbox or some Mega thing which does NOT handle folders.
Why not Zipping his session and uploading the .zip (.rar) to Dropbox ?
Zipping is said to be safer for audio files to be send over the internet ( at least that is said by pros here).
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrnplyr View Post
Can you explain what gobbler is and how it works? This might have come in handy on some recent work we did that took a lot of time (in real time).

Thanks
Go to their website www.gobbler.com
Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 AM

Gobbler +1
5Gb/Month free transfers.
Transfers over 2Gb work well.
However sending just new - selected tracks keeps the size down.
Cleanup, name and consolidate as you go.

(Original session) Gobble to friend.
(Friend session after dub) Save-copy selected tracks only..
(Original session V1.2) import session data
Dub some more export selected tracks and repeat as needed.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FajitaTone View Post
Go to their website www.gobbler.com
Click on the Tutorials tab for instructions on how to use on Mac, Windows, and Pro Tools 10 specifically.