Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 PM

Default I/O Setup messed up by beginner (me)

(...problem is fixed. Wrong choice in "playback engine". Read on if interested -- just a novice error)

Computer model and processor speed
iMac, Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM
OS X 10.6.8
Mbox Pro, FW800-FW400 adapter cable connection
Pro Tools 10

in the "Hardware Setup" dialog my Mbox is no longer listed. It shows "Peripherals" as "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O" where it used to say "mbox pro" or maybe just mbox. Can you tell me how to fix that? Read on for details if necessary...

Just this morning, with help from Sweetwater tech support, I got my new Pro Tools app authorized and running. He also set up a basic track and tried it out.

Later, I watched a "start up" Groove3 video on I/O Setup. He was explaining the I/O Setup. In the "bus" tab, he disabled (or deactivated?) all but the first 16 "regular" buses. He "unchecked" the check boxes to the right of the bus names all at once using some keystroke (I guess).

I must have done something inadvertently while trying to do what he did. I never figured out how to change all the bus settings, so I gave up on that. I later went into the I/O Setup and found this...

Analog 1-2 is checked and NOT in italics
Analog 3-4 and 5-6 are checked and ARE in italics
S/PDIF Left-Right is checked and IS in italics
Bus 1-2 through Bus 127-128 are all checked and NOT in italics

If I uncheck a bus box, the name remains in italics.

In the "Mapping to Output" list on the right side of the window, the Analog 3-4,5-6 & S/PDIF outputs are also in italics.

Please help me get the setup back to normal. And do you know what keystroke he may have used to uncheck those boxes?

It's possible I may have changed something in another tab, but I don't think I did.

Thanks for the help!

ps. is it possible to post a screen capture?

edit 1: I searched the forum for "I/O" but it didn't find anything. Maybe it's the slash -- I know the string exists in the forum.

Upon opening a previous session I got messages:

Your I/O setup has changed since the last time this session was saved. Check the I/O Setups window to see what's changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some bus paths were made inactive because their mapped output paths are unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Output path "Analog 3-4" could not be mapped to bus "Analog 3-4".
Output path "Analog 5-6" could not be mapped to bus "Analog 5-6".
Output path "S/PDIF Left-Right" could not be mapped to bus "S/PDIF Left-Right".
Please visit the I/O Setup dialog for more information.

Last edited by bruce_pianoman; 03-19-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: 1)added question, 2) added info, 3) problem fixed
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 AM

Default Re: I/O Setup messed up by beginner (me)

Hi, thanks for the response. I figured it out -- actually I just stumbled across it -- I went to the "Playback Engine" dialog and chose Mbox Pro from the drop down at the top. Must have changed it earlier while experimenting. I must be more careful with what I try at this stage of my education.

Thanks again. I had tried the Default button, but of course with the wrong hardware it didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tele View Post
In Pro Tools, click Setup, click I/O. You will see Input, Output, Bus, and Insert Tabs.
Click on each one and at the lower left click the Default button for each tab/page.

I think this is what your looking for?