Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Mackie HUI/Control Universal MIDI problems???

Ok, so I e-mail a guy in the recording department at a music store here in town, listed everything I want to get, so that I could get a total price including tax, and all that good stuff. In the things I listed, were in Rig1 a Mackie HUI, and in Rig2 a Mackie Control Universal. Both hook up via MIDI. He said that I would be better off with a Command|8 since it is USB. His reasoning was that MIDI can act up on longer sessions. I was wondering if anybody had these problems with the HUI or Control Universal. I have never had a problem with the HUI we use in B at the studio. It's been there for a couple of years now too...Doesn't make sense. Anyway, if anybody can back this guy up, let me know, because then I will consider the Command|8 seriously, but until then, I'm sticking with the HUI or the MCU. Latah.

~Finchy
Old 11-30-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Mackie HUI/Control Universal MIDI problems???

Finchy, i'm doing some research into a suitable control surface for PTLE myself. Check out this thread here
Old 11-30-2004, 08:04 PM

Man u feel for the "I'm a saleman, I know it all" bull...............sorry to here that. Midi runs cool with Protools and other programs. I have found and read that the USB Midi is not perfect. I have the Mackie control with the Midisport 4x4 USB interface, and like a few other folks here.....it doesnt work well. Mackie Control works much better with the midi ports plugged into the digi-001. Some here have even reported that it will work even better using the midi adapter connected to your Soundblaster compatible soundcard. The was a time when Token Bytes error ticked a lot of folks off, but Digi fixed most with LE 6.4. Can u return it? It sad that there are only a hand full of good saleperson that know good gear. Just remember.doesnt matter what u buy.....they make money.

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 PM

I had some problems with my Mackie Control and also a Motor Mix while connected to a MidiSport4x4 and a 2x2. I then bought a AMT 8 and it worked fine on my Mac. On my Windows XP machine, the AMT gave problems so I switched the midi to my 002r midi ports and no problems at all ( so far ).
Old 12-01-2004, 10:07 AM

Well, I can get the Command|8 for only $100 more than the MCU, so it is really no big deal about him trying to make an extra buck. I was just asking here to make sure, I would much rather get the MCU, not because of the price but because I have a ton of experience with Mackie HUI's, I've even met Greg Mackie on a number of occasions...I just like Mackie's control units better than Digi's. Plain and simple. I was making sure since I've never had a problem with the HUI at the studio, and the other engineers there have also never had a problem. Now that I think about it, when we did the War of 1812 special for the Discovery Channel we had that thing being used for 10's of hours at a time for like 2 months straight. Never once gave us a problem. Yep. Latah.

~Finchy
Old 12-01-2004, 10:25 AM

If it was a steal of a price, I'd get the mackie HUI...if it isn't, I'd get the C|8...but get what you prefer above all. I've never had midi issues with the mackie's.

There are some advantages to having the mackie if you find yourself working frequently with software other than Pro Tools.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:07 PM

Well, here's the thing that appealed most to me about the MCU: It's compatible with like 4 or 5 different programs.
Since I will eventually have my Vegas rig back, it would be awesome to be able to use the Mackie in both ProTools and Vegas. As well as Cubase SX which I use for Drumkit From Hell. Very useful. Since the Command|8 is only $100 more at the store I'm getting all of this...it seems like it's $100 more for something that would only work with PT...not very appealing. One thing, $100 more....4 or 5 things, $100 less. Shea. Latah.

~Finchy
Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Well, here's the thing that appealed most to me about the MCU: It's compatible with like 4 or 5 different programs.
Since I will eventually have my Vegas rig back, it would be awesome to be able to use the Mackie in both ProTools and Vegas. As well as Cubase SX which I use for Drumkit From Hell. Very useful. Since the Command|8 is only $100 more at the store I'm getting all of this...it seems like it's $100 more for something that would only work with PT...not very appealing. One thing, $100 more....4 or 5 things, $100 less. Shea. Latah.

~Finchy

hey, that might be the one...........Maybe one day you will have to sell the C8 or MCU to move up to SSL or something. MCU may sell faster because it work with different programs and it is expandable.......C8 can only be used with protools(if i'm right), hope it doesn't become a "DIGI-001 or Mix System" when protool 8.3 is released u never know.

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 AM

I have a Mackie hui Control surface..and when I hook it up to ProTools...and hit the space bar On the keyboard The control surface restarts or freezes...it does it whenever the master faith and ProTools is not all the way down why is that can anyone help...if I turn the masturbator down in ProTools the Control surface works fine...i'm running ProTools 10 and ProTools 11 does the same problem..