Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-16-2019, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Thanks. I’ll try to get back to house in couple hours and try. Any other non-fighting comments welcome. I may have a couple questions but it seems pretty straightforward.

I gave you the simple straight forward answers and instructions in your other thread. It really doesn’t need to be more complicated than that.

FYI - you can’t format or initialise the drive your booted from. You can add a secondary partition, but that won’t affect the boot partition. IOW - you can’t accidentally format the drive your running from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Avid

Exclamation Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair

Insults and cursing removed, threads merged and opened, back on track. If you want to participate in the conversation or help the OP please do, but please respect the Terms of Use. Thank you.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair

Ha, cleanup has been through and tidied up a bit, I see. Swift, and very precise, I must say.

Some info, however, is missing now.

Someone said something about duplicating the origin drive's hidden partitioning onto the backup drive. Is that a thing?

So, just to make sure I'm clear, is the Lacie drive formatted as Daryl Ramm suggested going to be problematic in any way? Does it need to be specially partitioned or something? Let me know if there are any steps to be taken.

Best,

mightduck
Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Ha, cleanup has been through and tidied up a bit, I see. Swift, I must say.

Some info, however, is missing now.

Someone said something about duplicating the origin drive's hidden partitioning onto the backup drive. Is that a thing?

So, just to make sure I'm clear, is the Lacie drive formatted as Daryl Ramm suggested going to be problematic in any way? Does it need to be specially partitioned or something? Let me know if there are any steps to be taken.

Best,

mightduck
Yes I said that before. But for now lets keep things simpler, I would just do what I said in the directions in a recent post.

See this. https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-...y-hd-partition and https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/frequent...y-hd-partition

I think it's nice to have that there in case you every have to boot and recover to a totally empty disk. Find yourself totally screwed for some other reason, and need to revert to recovery, you can run recovery off the clone. It may be a level of paranoia that is NOT needed for what you are doing now... if Apple replaces the motherboard they will image it's SSD with Mojave and *will* give you a recovery partition.

OTOH I have seen people end up with some very sad recovery messes when things went badly south and they did not even have a usable recovery partition anywhere... so worth reading about for later backups.

BTW also worth reading about later is APFS containers... can be a little confusing when first met, but more flexible that traditional partitions. And one reason to use modern APFS.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-16-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yes I said that before. But for now lets keep things simpler, I would just do what I said in the directions in a recent post.

See this. https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-...y-hd-partition

I think it's nice to have that there in case you every have to boot and recover to a totally empty disk. Find yourself totally screwed for some other reason, and need to revert to recovery, you can run recovery off the clone. It may be a level of paranoia that is NOT needed for what you are doing now... if Apple replaces the motherboard they will image it's SSD with Mojave and *will* give you a recovery partition.

OTOH I have seen people end up with some very sad recovery messes when things went badly south and they did not even have a usable recovery partition anywhere... so worth reading about for later backups.

BTW also worth reading about later is APFS containers... can be a little confusing when first met, but more flexible that traditional partitions. And one reason to use modern APFS.
So, disk utility shows. APPLE SSD SM20 > Container disk1 > Macintosh HD. Are those the partitions you are talking about?

Not sure I understand all you were saying there. Anyhow, this computer is currently running High Sierra, not Mojave, fwiw.

Following your "simplified directions", is ccc going to just clone the "Macintosh HD" partition?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:44 PM

That's containers, and it's fine. You don't need to worry about the details now. But read about later so you understand what it's all about.

Yes following those instructions it will clone your boot hard drive "partition" (which well is actually a container... but you don't need to worry about any of that now).
Old 09-16-2019, 09:47 PM

Weelll, maybe I understand a little better than previously thought, or not. But, from what I read, ccc makes a disk image of the hidden recovery partition when it clones the drive, right?

What's it gonna be named on the new Lacie drive?
Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 PM

Oh yes you are correct. Sorry I'm running on fumes and don't have my mac with me. You will be able to look at the clone disk with Disk Utility and see. But for your immediate needs what is important is to boot off the clone you make and make sure stuff runs... that's a part of the magic of backing up using CCC/clones.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM

The Lacie Rugged drive [top level] says GUID partition map.

The Lacie Drive [next level] says ExFAT.

Which one do I format?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
The Lacie Rugged drive [top level] says GUID partition map.

The Lacie Drive [next level] says ExFAT.

Which one do I format?
I would pick on the top level one.... you are blowing evethign away, and it will create the container structure for you and put a APFS volume within that.

You are looking for something like this... in the erase dialog panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.06.39 PM.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)